Decorating Cake Drums

Decorating By sweetcreationsbiz Updated 27 Sep 2009 , 12:31am by tracey1970

sweetcreationsbiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcreationsbiz Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 18

I want to start decorating my cake drums.

Any advice?

How much extra should I charge to do this

17 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:09am
post #2 of 18

How do you mean? Gluing a ribbon around the edge? Covering in fondant? ?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:13am
post #3 of 18

Some people also use scrapbook paper and then cover it in contact paper and then put the ribbon around the base.

sweetcreationsbiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcreationsbiz Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:29pm
post #4 of 18

Contact Paper?

Never heard of this

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:43pm
post #5 of 18

I use printed contact paper sometimes (black marble, wood grain, etc.)...but mostly will use either scrapbooking paper w/ clear contact paper over top, wallpaper w/ clear contact paper on top, wrapping paper w/ clear contact paper on top, tissue paper w/ clear contact paper on top......the possibilities are endless. I've even put dried flowers under the clear contact paper..........when I want a white board I just leave the foamcore showing and add contact paper and a ribbon to the edge.

I don't charge any extra for this, as I generally spend less than 2.00 on it so I figure it into the cost of the cake. I just try to match the cake designs. Sometimes I find trim on sale for $.25 or $.50 at the store and if it looks cool I pick it up (like the pink and black dangling things)

Sky is the limit really.

The white and black cake is just white tissue paper with those circle garage sale stickers colored black with a sharpie and then clear contact paper on top! lol

The topsy turvy gerbera daisy one had lt. green paper w/ darker green paper spirals that I cut out and black dots that I hole punched out of black paper and then covered in clear contact paper. I just make them match the cake if I can.

The diaper bag cake was actually a piece of brown fabric that had pink dots on it.......and then I put clear contact paper over top of it.
LL
LL
LL
LL

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 18

I cover my drums or boards with melted candy wafers in coordinating colors, fast and cheap

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 3:32pm
post #7 of 18

Wow! Great looking boards.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 5:28pm
post #8 of 18

KHalstead - your cakes and your boards look amazing!

KHalstead Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 10:57pm
post #9 of 18

thanks..........I never tell customers that their board will be decorated (well, only for weddings) so they never expect anything more than a cardboard round. For regular cheapy sheetcakes I just use the cardboard but if it's for an anniversary or something a little more special (like a 50th or something) then I generally will at least use foam core and run some ribbon around the edge.

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 1:38am
post #10 of 18

Personally I think an undecorated board detracts from the design of the cake and doesn't add any beauty to the hardwork we create. I decorate ALL my boards to match the colors/theme of the cake.

I use tissue paper and clear contact paper...wrapping paper and clear contact paper..any type of covering so long as it's covered over with clear contact paper is great! there are many contatc papers available that are colored or has designs on them that work great as well.

mygirlssweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mygirlssweet Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 1:56am
post #11 of 18

How do you get the wrinkles out of the tissue paper and how do you get the contact paper on so smooth?

threeforhim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threeforhim Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:34am
post #12 of 18

I use tissue paper, wrapping paper, even cut up gift bags and funny papers. At times I've used fabric. You just fold it over the board. On the back side, pull it tight at opposing sides so that it's tight enough to remove wrinkles but not so tight it tears. It takes quite a bit of tape. I will also then use the clear cellophane or plastic wrap, folded around the back and taped, too. I've even just used the metallic confetti that is cut into shapes, like the year, or hearts, sprinkled over a white board and covered with the clear wrap. Static makes the glitter stay.

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:19am
post #13 of 18

"I don't charge any extra for this, as I generally spend less than 2.00 on it so I figure it into the cost of the cake"

Aren't the boards just by themselves right around $2?
Does anyone have any ideas for anything cheaper than that?[/quote]

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 9:28am
post #14 of 18

what is contact paper?

Sorry I'm from England and not sure what this is.

I usually cover all my boards with fondan. If it is a wedding I cover all over, if a ordianary cake I place the cake on the board and put fondant around the edge which is still showing.

I would love to cover my cakes with other papers and then use 'contact' paper on top. the designs look fab!!

KHalstead Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 2:56pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnabugg

"I don't charge any extra for this, as I generally spend less than 2.00 on it so I figure it into the cost of the cake"

Aren't the boards just by themselves right around $2?
Does anyone have any ideas for anything cheaper than that?

[/quote]

I actually cheat! I will use a piece of foam core board 1/2" thick and will double it up sometimes if I am using a wider ribbon. So my board by itself is literally only around .50 of total cost for even 2 pieces of foam core stacked. I pay around $3.00 for a sheet of 1/2" foam board that is 20"x30"...and can get quite a few boards out of that. The contact paper is around 8.00 for a roll of clear but lasts me a LONG time....I only buy it once a year or so and cover ALL my cake boards with it (except sheetcakes) and probably do around 3 non sheet cake cakes a week. I also use it to cover each individual board for tiered cakes, so I use quite a bit.

The wrinkles on the tissue paper come out as you stretch it (carefully) across your board and tape underneath, then when you put the contact paper on it makes it completely smooth and seamless.

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 3:23pm
post #16 of 18

This is probably a silly question but when you say foam core board are you talking about the round cake boards say at Michaels?

lchris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lchris Posted 26 Sep 2009 , 6:33pm
post #17 of 18

Like others have said, I use tissue paper, covered in clear contact paper. I mostly use scrapbook papers, covered in contact paper. Have used wrapping paper, and even just the foam core board, covered in contact paper. Love that stuff!

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 27 Sep 2009 , 12:31am
post #18 of 18

I have read on other threads that regular contact paper is not food safe?? What I remember reading is that people who covered their boards in Contact paper then put the cake itself on a cake board that's the exact same size as the cake (so you can't see it) before placing it on the contact paper. I think Michael's sells a clear cellophane by the roll that is food safe, so you can use it to cover your board and put the cake right on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%