Buttercream Cracks

Decorating By Mug-a-Bug Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 6:03pm by Mug-a-Bug

Mug-a-Bug Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 5

I finally figured out how to get smooth buttercream, yay!! icon_biggrin.gif

Now, a new problem.... after my cake sits a while it developes cracks in it icon_confused.gif I use kroger brand shortening (trans-fats in), unsalted butter, and pure cane PS; sometimes I use milk, sometimes water. What's going on? I let my cakes settle overnight after filling and crumbcoating. Any advice on the matter would be great thumbs_up.gif TIA

4 replies
poohsmomma Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 5

Does this happen if you move the cake? I found out the hard way that if your cake board isn't strong/stiff enough, just the slightest bend in the cake board when you move the cake will cause crusted BC to crack.

elvis Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 5

i agree-- whenever i have had cracks in the icing, it was caused by the board bending just the slightest bit and "shattering" the crusted buttercream. so frustrating when that happens! try stacking together more cake boards.

icer101 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 5

once i started using thicker boards or stacking at least 3 of regular boards.. never had that problem again.. honest truth...

Mug-a-Bug Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 5

I use 1 inch wooden boards covered in contact paper, so I don't think flexing was the problem. But maybe just moving it at all?? Once I finished icing I don't really move my cakes around too much. icon_confused.gif

Thanks for the ideas so far.

Quote by @%username% on %date%