Large, Detailed Cutters- Help?

Baking By cinderspritzer Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 3:27pm by cindy58

cinderspritzer Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 6

I got a set of copper cookie cutters from Old River Road. They're all around 4 or 5 inches at the longest point, but they have lots of spots where the detailing is in a very small area. When I cut or lift them, they have a terrible tendency to break the dough in those spots.

So for now, I try to flip the rolled-out dough onto my cookie sheet, cut it, and lift away the dough on the outside of the cutter. It's terribly time consuming.

Is there an easier way to cut them without the dough breaking?

5 replies
peg818 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 6

I roll my dough right on to parchment paper, then cut and transfer the paper to the cookie sheet. Gives you the same thing you are doing now but you don't have to wait in between cuts to bake and allow the sheet to cool down.

cindy58 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 6

I found with cutters of this type that the dough is more likely to break at the detail points when it's very cold. So I'll cut them pretty quickly after rolling the dough and then chill them before baking to keep their shape.

I roll the dough between folded over wax paper. I use a shaker with a mesh top to dust the dough on both sides VERY lightly with flour, but I've found that with some of these detail cutters it's better not to dust the bottom of the dough -- then it's more likely to stay on the wax paper than come up stuck in the detail cutter. Then I'll slide the wax paper near the edge of the counter, slide off the cookie and place it on the parchment to bake.

cinderspritzer Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:59pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

Teekakes Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:10pm
post #5 of 6

I do my cutouts the same way peg818 does. On countertop, roll dough onto parchment paper, cut out shapes, tear away excess dough, slide entire sheet of parchment paper onto cookie sheet and bake.
While that batch is baking I am getting another batch ready to go in as soon as that one comes out. It really does go that fast once you get your system down! thumbs_up.gif

cindy58 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

I do my cutouts the same way peg818 does. On countertop, roll dough onto parchment paper, cut out shapes, tear away excess dough, slide entire sheet of parchment paper onto cookie sheet and bake.
While that batch is baking I am getting another batch ready to go in as soon as that one comes out. It really does go that fast once you get your system down! thumbs_up.gif

I roll on the wax paper, cut and transfer to the parchment because I can then lay them out to get the most on a baking sheet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%