Problems With The Dowels

Decorating By maika Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 11:46pm by kattyann

maika Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 6

I am having some issues leveling the top of the cakes. What is the best way to stack the layers to make sure the tier will be even at the top when I put the dowels?
Should the tier that goes on top be level with the tier at the bottom? or is it ok if there is a small gap between each tier?
I also want to know if I need to put a cardboard between tiers before I stack them up.

Your help will be appreciated.

5 replies
Lcubed82 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 6

When your prepare your tiers, each should be on a cake board. Some use the cardboard ones available, some prefer using foam core boards that they cut as needed.
Each tier should be level before putting the next one on. IndyDebi did a photo tutorial in a recent post about how she measures and cuts her dowels. There are several options available for support- dowels, straws, plastic colums, SPS.
There may be small gaps showing from low spots when stacked. Cover this with a border.

I found the link. Here ya go!

NancyS Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 6

Make sure all your layers are straight before you put them together. That will give you a level cake tier. To stack, I usually insert a dowel into the finished cake, mark it level to the cake with a marker or pencil, pull it out and then cut it (straight, not angled). Measure all your other dowels to this same level. All the dowels need to be the same for your cake to be level.

tonedna Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 6

Your cakes should be leveled before adding the dowels.
Watch this, it might help

Edna icon_smile.gif

maika Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks you very much for taking the time and answer my question. The links you mentioned in your replies were very helpful. I think I will give the multi-tier cakes another try.

kattyann Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 11:46pm
post #6 of 6

I use the separator plates with the feet along with the hidden pillars as dowels. Mark your cake with a spare separator plate as to where the pillars will go, insert one and measure length. I use a mini miter box and cut the correct length and cut the other 3 the same length. To see if they are level, take your spare plate and insert it into the pillars, use a miniature level, mine is about 3 inches long. Remove and insert your cake that is on the same size plate into the pillars. I find I don't have to worry about my cakes being level, or that they are going to slide. Also, I find that the feet on the plates are not equal on all 4 sides. Make sure you line your cake up on the right sides. Hope this helps. Kattyann

Quote by @%username% on %date%