Cake Recipes: Scratch Or Box Cakes

Baking By sweetcreationsbiz Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 4:06pm by josumiko

sweetcreationsbiz Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 5

I live in Saginaw,MI. The people here loves to eat box cake. I would like to expand and do more cakes from scratch and use Swiss buttercream and get away from the Wilton buttercream with shortening. Can anyone tell me what they do for cakes and how it works.

For example, you always use box cake mix for all your cakes.

Or maybe you bake from scrach and you can tell me if that works better for you than a box cake.

What is commonly used, cake , pastry, self rising or all purpose flour for cakes?

My husband think I should use a recipe I got for scratch white cake always and just add food coloring and different extracts or oils from the drams to the cakes for different flavors. This way Im always using the same recipe and buy the same ingredients just adding the oils and extracts for changes.

I also have a chocolate devils food recipe I use form Martha Stewart. very tender and sewwt

Can I use a box cake and add all purpose flour or cake flour to it for a better cake?

Please any help and adie wold be greatly apprecited.

4 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 5

Personally, I do scratch. It's what I pride my biz on and stand apart from the others in my area. If the majority of people around you prefer box, and that's how you would make the most money, by goodness-box it! It's completely up to you. If you are really wanting to learn scratch, then practice and maybe turn some folks onto some scratch cake! A quick easy way to get on that path is ditch the Wilton BC asap. There are lots of great recipes in here, like meringue style icings and shortening based BC that calls for hi ratio, like Sugarshacks.

Let's see if this thread can stay civil. icon_smile.gif

sweetcreationsbiz Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks Jamie. Where are you from

icer101 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 5

lots of people ... pride.. themselves.. on all their work... even using box mixes.. box mix extenders.. and their buttercream icings.. sugarshack on this site is a great example... she is the best.. try her buttercream.. she shows how to on youtube.. lots of people think imbc or smbc.. taste like and makes their mouth feel like eating a stick of butter.. everyone is different.. so please yourself and your customers.. there are sereral threads on this topic.. i would find them and sit down and read them carefully.. and then YOU decide what is best for you and your business.. going back to sugarshack.. look at her beautiful cakes.. her buttercream cakes are as smooth as fondant ones. it is amazing.. sharonssugarshack.com.. her blog is great also.. hth indydebi prides herself on her icing.. lots of people on here rave about it... then the butter and hi-ratio or crisco blend.. and using milk or cream it in instead of water.. tastes great.. and works great.. just a few.. to mention oh yeah.. then there is the buttercream dream recipe on this site.. people rave about it.. so , yes, we can all take PRIDE in what we use and how the client likes it..

josumiko Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcreationsbiz

I live in Saginaw,MI. The people here loves to eat box cake. I would like to expand and do more cakes from scratch and use Swiss buttercream and get away from the Wilton buttercream with shortening. Can anyone tell me what they do for cakes and how it works.

For example, you always use box cake mix for all your cakes.

Or maybe you bake from scrach and you can tell me if that works better for you than a box cake.

What is commonly used, cake , pastry, self rising or all purpose flour for cakes?

My husband think I should use a recipe I got for scratch white cake always and just add food coloring and different extracts or oils from the drams to the cakes for different flavors. This way Im always using the same recipe and buy the same ingredients just adding the oils and extracts for changes.

I also have a chocolate devils food recipe I use form Martha Stewart. very tender and sewwt

Can I use a box cake and add all purpose flour or cake flour to it for a better cake?

Please any help and adie wold be greatly apprecited.

If it's the same MS devil's food recipe I have...yum! I love it!
I have to say, I have done both box and scratch (just a hobbyist). I think it really depends on your recipes, but if you want to doctor up a box mix, like using the WASC recipe, it works great.
There is a great thread about gourmet flavors on here and they are mostly doctored cake mixes. I think that someone, maybe macsmom has a link in her signature that has a file of all the different flavors suggested on that thread. I have tried several, and they are all yummy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%