Feeling Sad :-(

Lounge By -Tubbs Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 1:00pm by Loucinda

-Tubbs Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 10:24am
post #1 of 15

Today is the one year anniversary of the suicide of my niece's 13 year old friend. I didn't know the girl, but I felt sick when I heard about it, thinking of her parents, her friends, everyone who loved her... thinking about all that potential, just..gone. icon_sad.gif By all accounts she was a lovely girl, lots of friends, good student - there's just no sense in it.

I'm feeling that sick feeling all over again today, and urge anyone with teenagers to do what I did at the time, and will do again today: Gather your kids. Tell them you love them, and make it clear that there is NOTHING, NOTHING that is bad enough that suicide is the only option. Spell it out to them - pregnancy, drugs, trouble with the law, help them know that there is always another option and that things always look different in the morning.

Sorry to be a downer. icon_sad.gif

14 replies
michellenj Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:24am
post #2 of 15

I had 3 high school friends who committed suicide. You have to wonder what is going through their mind before they do it. To this day, I wonder if there was anything I could have done to stop them.

((hugs))

Mike1394 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:52am
post #3 of 15

Not a downer. The pressure on kids today is terrible. It seems like every generation it gets worse. Heck the biggest thing I had to worry about was making sure I could find my baseball.

Hugs

Mike

-Tubbs Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 15

Michelle: Three friends? That's so awful, I can't imagine. Hugs back to you!

Mike: You're right - I wonder if pressure came into it... From what I understand she was a good student. Maybe she put too much pressure on herself?

It's just so sad, and she was so young; too young to know that crappy stuff happens, and then better stuff comes along... Makes my heart hurt to think of her and those she left behind. I have a 13 year old daughter myself, and can't imagine anything more horrible.

LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 15

Sucide for youth is a very hard to comprehend. The sad thing about it is that they don't grasp it's a permenant solution to a temporary problem.

adree313 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 10:26pm
post #6 of 15

i had a friend a couple of years younger than me who has tried to commit suicide 3-4 times. she's only 18. it's a very, very sad and hard situation. i feel so bad for the parents in these situations because it has to feel like a failure on their part, even if it has nothing to do with them.

i agree with what others have said, it's a tough time to be a teenager right now. there's a lot going on out there that just wasn't as common "back in the day" as my parents like to say/remind me.

i think the hardest part is when you can't do anything to help them. i mean, you can do all you can, but a lot of times, it just isn't enough.

*computer hugs coming your way*

prterrell Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 10:31pm
post #7 of 15

It's been just over 2 years since DH's cousin committed suicide leaving a wife of just over a year and a newborn son and 18 years since my cousin-in-law killed herself. It's not something you ever really get over.

Hugs to everyone who's life has been affected by suicide.

mrspriss0912 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 10:54pm
post #8 of 15

HUGS to everyone on this post !!!!!
I lost a very dear friend to suicide and to this day I tear up when I think of him
I often wonder what would have happened if I had called to check on him more often or gone to see him more He is never far from my heart and I celebrated him in my own way by getting a tatoo with his initial worked into the knotwork I am the only one who sees it and when I miss him I just look at my tat and think of the good times we had together I also keep a pic from one of our last nights out clubbing in my purse.

Deb_ Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:21am
post #9 of 15

I'm so sorry to all of you guys that have lost a dear friend or family member to suicide.

LaBellaFlor you're so right that they don't realize it's a permanent solution to a temporary problem. When I was still living at home my parent's neighbor's Son committed suicide in his own bedroom because his Father told him he couldn't go on his high school ski trip because his grades weren't good enough.

I can only imagine how guilty that boy's father felt when he realized why his Son chose to end his life.

My prayers are with all of these souls and their families and friends.

-Tubbs Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:53am
post #10 of 15

Wow, I had no idea that so many people were affected by suicide. I feel for all of you icon_sad.gif Like I say, I didn't even know this girl (my niece's friend) but I saw how badly it affected her friends. In a way it took a little of their innocence, I think.

Cyber-love to all.

cylstrial Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:03am
post #11 of 15

My aunt just committed suicide in July. So I totally understand. It's shocking!!!!! Her son died 2 years ago and she just couldn't get over it. The last sentence of her letter said, I've gone to find my Keith (her son's name). It is really sad.

ladyellam Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:19am
post #12 of 15

I had a friend in the 7th grade who committed suicide because the pressure to be "perfect" was so overwhelming. I also had a cousin who ended her life at 18 because she felt the world was so hard and hurtful she couldn't understand why there was a need to go on living. Two lives that were so young and hurting so much that this was the only way they could see out.

My heart still breaks after all of these years of what these two girls could have grown up to be.

diane Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:26am
post #13 of 15

here's a big HUG for you!!!!! that's so sad!!!! icon_redface.gif

fmcmulle Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 11:39am
post #14 of 15

My heart aches for all you. Suicide is a tough thing to deal with, just the fact of not knowing why they do it. My friends brother just killed himself three weeks ago and it has been so hard on her family. Everyone blames themselves, thinking they should have done things different. Even if they had done things different no one knows if the outcome would have been any different.
I wish there were something I could say to all of you that have lost someone or know someone who has lost someone in this tragic way that would make things better or easier for you. Just know I will keep all of you in my prayers and I hope that one day suicide will be a thing of the past.

Loucinda Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:00pm
post #15 of 15

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} to all of you who have been touched by the death of a friend or loved one. I have not personally been touched by a suicide death, but have lost 2 sons myself and a young man I helped raise was killed in Iraq on the 8th of this month.

I read this once and I have always tried to follow it ever since......Be kinder than necessary - because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle....

Just think of all the kind things you have said or showed towards someone else - that in itself may have been the thing that helped that person get through a bad day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%