Am I Supposed To Charge More For A Fondant Covered Cake?

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 5:55pm by PinkZiab

LoriMc Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:28am
post #1 of 18

I only do buttercream cakes, but someone has requested I make this CC cake. I will need to cover the ghost with fondant. I normally charge $1.75 per serving. Do people charge more per serving with fondant?
LL

17 replies
Lcubed82 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:35am
post #2 of 18

Usually fondant costs more. You basically have to lightly ice your cake with BC, smooth it well, then apply the fondant. An added step and expense.

Rylan Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:37am
post #3 of 18

I don't sell cakes but I sure do know that you have to charge more.

catlharper Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:38am
post #4 of 18

Yup, my buttercream starts at $2 a person for a regular half sheet cake, fondant starts at $4 a person. Especially for something like what you have pictured which looks carved as well. Carved cakes can go up to $6 per person depending on how complicated the cake design is.

good luck!
Cat

Texas_Rose Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:40am
post #5 of 18

Yes, charge more. Figure out how much fondant you will need and how much it will cost, then add that to the per serving charge icon_biggrin.gif

kansaswolf Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:45am
post #6 of 18

I charge the same, because I'm not a fan of using buttercream. There might be a slight difference in price, but not enough that I want to encourage the use of buttercream to cover my cakes... Just a personal preference, though! If you're used to buttercream, I'd definitely charge more for something new!

LoriMc Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:56am
post #7 of 18

I think I'll see how this one goes. I hate to charge too much for something that most people pick off the cake! icon_sad.gif

Lindy43 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:13am
post #8 of 18

I agree with you Lori. My customers do not seem to like the taste of fondant either. Most of them request that I use a french buttercream and only use fondant as added decorative pieces. icon_smile.gif

kansaswolf Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:24am
post #9 of 18

Find a good fondant... I hear there's several out there, even if you don't want to make your own! HOWEVER, the good ones can get very pricy, hence the traditional upcharge for fondant.

I make my own cream cheese fondant, so there's little to no price difference for me.

LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:33am
post #10 of 18

There are some very good brands and recipes out there for fondant. I understand not wanting to charge for something that may not get eaten, but that is the perogative of your client. If they pick a design that requires fondant then they have to pay for it wether they choose to eat or not. You shouldn't have to absorb the cost. Your buttercream price is CRAZY low. Average cost of fondant per serving $4. Average cost of buttercream per serving $3. The picture of the cake you have is considered sculpted because of the 3D cake ghost. People start sculpted cakes at $5 per serving with a cake minimum. Some don't even charge by the serving, but by the amount of work that may be involved. I have a sculpted cake minimum of $150.

ApplegumKitchen Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:07am
post #11 of 18

OMG - I am NEVER coming to the USA to work - you guys work for peanuts

I can't understand why you all charge per serving - here in Aus we charge for the cake - if they want to share it between 10 people or 30 people.... SAME PRICE!

Our wedding venues charge $3-$6 per person just to cut and serve the cake!!!

miny Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:07am
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

I think I'll see how this one goes. I hate to charge too much for something that most people pick off the cake! icon_sad.gif

But the fondant is expensive, it's their decision to eat it ir not but the person selling the fondant isn't gonna give it to you cheaper because it's not gonna be eaten, IMHO you shouldn't put money out of your pocket, a business is businnes

ApplegumKitchen Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:15am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

But the fondant is expensive, it's their decision to eat it ir not but the person selling the fondant isn't gonna give it to you cheaper because it's not gonna be eaten, IMHO you shouldn't put money out of your pocket, a business is businnes

hahaha I agree - but I will remember this when I next go to a restaurant and I can't eat all thats on my plate....

"Excuse me waitress - can I have a refund for what I didn't eat"

or

Oh - I won't drive that NEW car very many kilometres - can I have it cheaper?

hmmm - sounds silly when it is compared doesn't it ???

I don't know why you all feel so bad charging for what you do - you will only be paid what you are worth when you begin to believe that you DESERVE to be paid what you are worth.

kansaswolf Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:30am
post #14 of 18

[quote="ApplegumKitchen"]
I can't understand why you all charge per serving - here in Aus we charge for the cake - if they want to share it between 10 people or 30 people.... SAME PRICE!
[quote]

Oh, I have one price per size of cake, I just tell them it will serve X number of people if cut according to MY serving chart... So that's where the servings comes in, *I* decide how big a "serving" is. icon_biggrin.gif If they want ginourmous pieces of cake, the price is still the same! icon_lol.gif Mostly, it comes in handy when explaining to a bride how much cake to order.

GottaLuvCake Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:37am
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumKitchen

Well, I want to go to AUSTRALIA !!! for more reasons than just great pricing on cakes!! Someday..... icon_biggrin.gif

PinkZiab Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:56pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumKitchen

We're not all that cheap! lol But I think you're misunderstanding the "per serving" price... we DO charge based on the size of the cake, but it's usually broken down to a per-serving price... but we charge the the # of servings the cake provides, NOT just the number of servings the client is requesting... they may only want to feed 10 people, but if they want a 10" cake, they are going to pay for the WHOLE cake, NOT just 10 servings of it!

And to the OP, yes you should charge more for fondant. It's going to cost you more to put fondant on the cake, and it may take more time to decorate (especially if you're not experienced in fondant). Charge accordingly. Whether or not they eat the fondant is not your concern... you are putting it on the cake, you charge them for it!

Loucinda Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:54pm
post #17 of 18

One thing I don't get, it takes me LESS time to do a fondant cake - not sure why that is?

PinkZiab Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:55pm
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

One thing I don't get, it takes me LESS time to do a fondant cake - not sure why that is?

Same here... but I work in fondant 99% of the time. But for someone who may not be experienced with fondant, it can definitely take longer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%