Pvc Piping As Rolling Pin Questions.....

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 2:15am by Elise87

Elise87 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:22am
post #1 of 23

Sorry for MORE questions from me but i just have some questions about using PVC piping as a rolling pin as i have seen some people do:

1. Is there any specific type of PVC piping that you have to buy that is safer?

2. When disinfecting and cleaning the piping, is there any specific cleaning solution to use?

Many thanks again

22 replies
Rylan Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:27am
post #2 of 23

As for the PVC, I beliebe Courtney Clark suggested to use the ones for water.

Lcubed82 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:36am
post #3 of 23

I plan to wash in hot water with dish soap, then rinse well in bleach water. I may give it a scrub with bleach water as a starter.

dandelion56602 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:50am
post #4 of 23

I too have wondered. DH said "are you crazy? That stuff isn't food safe!" I know some of it realeased fumes when burnt. Don't know if all are created equal. And Ron Ben Israel uses "water pipes". Guess if you're water's coming through it it's not going to have chemicals that would leach

matthewkyrankelly Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:18am
post #5 of 23

Go to Home Depot or Lowes. There are pvc pipes that are OK for water supply. Buy a good length and make a couple sizes of rolling pins. If you can drink out of 'em, you should be able to use them as a rolling pin. I don't recommend burning them. But I don't recommend burning any kind of rolling pin.

Elise87 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:24am
post #6 of 23

cool, thanks for the help guys icon_smile.gif

dandelion56602 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 6:01am
post #7 of 23

I wasn't suggesting burning them, but dh has been involved w/ a lot of PVC when building the business he's in, replacing parts, redoing, etc & there's some kind of warning not to inhale the fumes. It melts more than burns, but it's actually the same w/ plastics, cardboard & other materials. You know they have to put warnings on everything out there now b/c there are idiots who would do it & then turn around & sue for a quick buck b/c they were too stupid to use common sense.

But I've been contemplating getting some pvc so that I don't have lines on the bigger pieces of fondant when i roll it out.

Elise87 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 6:16am
post #8 of 23

my brother just told me that the piping won't be any good cose the pvc will flex. Anyone had a problem with this?

Also said i would need weight to it, like to close it off at the ends and fill it up with something to add more weight...anyone done this before?

matthewkyrankelly Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:28pm
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

I wasn't suggesting burning them, but dh has been involved w/ a lot of PVC when building the business he's in, replacing parts, redoing, etc & there's some kind of warning not to inhale the fumes. It melts more than burns, but it's actually the same w/ plastics, cardboard & other materials. You know they have to put warnings on everything out there now b/c there are idiots who would do it & then turn around & sue for a quick buck b/c they were too stupid to use common sense.

But I've been contemplating getting some pvc so that I don't have lines on the bigger pieces of fondant when i roll it out.

I know. Lighthearted teasing. icon_biggrin.gif

matthewkyrankelly Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:34pm
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise87

my brother just told me that the piping won't be any good cose the pvc will flex. Anyone had a problem with this?

Also said i would need weight to it, like to close it off at the ends and fill it up with something to add more weight...anyone done this before?

Mostly, this is for people who need to roll out wide sections of fondant. A nice piece of pipe lets you do that w/out seams. The pipe does not flex enough to make it a problem. You can also use the pipe to roll up the fondant and roll it off on to the cake, like the pie crust technique often used.

If Ron Ben Israel can use them, I can probably make due.

Bunsen Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:41pm
post #11 of 23

Hi Elise,

I bought the basic pvc pipe from Bunnings - it doesn't flex (use the wider ones, think mine is about 10cm diameter) and can stand the pressure needed to press down on it to role out fondant. Wash with normal soapy water and if you want to sterilise Milton will work. I have to say tho I haven't used mine in a while - I find in my kitchen the length gets in the way and it's easier to use a normal rolling pin.

dandelion56602 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:16pm
post #12 of 23

In the U.S. they're pretty sturdy & they do make caps that fit on the ends. So, if you could find caps I would think you could fill it & put the caps on. If the length gets in the way, maybe you could roll mainly with a regular pin & then do the finishing touches w/ the pvc so there are no lines on the fondant.

tigerhawk83 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:27pm
post #13 of 23

I use PVC for a lot of things - a great multitasker (as Alton Brown on Food Network would say). There is a thinner version and a thicker version that is labeled for high pressure - that's the one I would get. It's plenty sturdy and certainly easier to wash than a regular pin. You can throw it in the dishwasher, it will be fine - after all it's likely the same pipe that's carrying the hot water to your sink and dishwasher. And it's CHEAP - just a few bucks for a 8 foot length.

Doug Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:51pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:

tell brother:

yes dear -- an 8 foot long section will flex especially if it's that little 1/2 in stuff

BUT (roll eyes dramatically and say with that "you are such a dolt of a brother!" voice"

A) I'm using the bigger heavier 3 or 4 inch stuff
B) I'm cutting it down to about a 3 foot length.
C) and buster, if you think I'm going to roll out an 8 foot wide piece of fondant -- YOU are going to be there right beside me helping! OH, and all your buddies too!

----

get the WHITE PVC made for water lines -- look for the large diameter stuff that would be a MAIN feed line from street to house.

----

yes could cap ends IF you cap it so ends (some caps will have a lip that extends past edge of pipe. check size of lip -- may be too big or just right to be guide to get fondant a consistent thickness)

for weighting -- dry sand or water (add a tbs of bleach) or sand that is saturated with water) -- of course that will be one HEAVY pipe.

Elise87 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 12:39am
post #15 of 23

thanks for all the wonderful advice everyone!

Doug: lol icon_biggrin.gif

DefyGravity Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:17am
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

I don't recommend burning them. But I don't recommend burning any kind of rolling pin.

I think I laughed a little too hard, haha icon_wink.gif

Bluehue Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 6:08am
post #17 of 23

To make the PVC rolling pin more sturdy -

When buying the pipe - buy the caps that go on the ends.
They push on very tight - and no, the water doesn't leak out
Fill pipe with either cold water (great in hot weaather as it stops your hands getting sticky and warm) or raw rice/raw beans.

Might make a bit of noise - but adds more weight when rolling.

When finished rolling for the day - or night icon_wink.gif- just take one cap off - give pipe a good wash out with warm soapy water - rinse well - allow to air dry over night -
Voula -

Just like the rolling pins you used to buy many years ago from Tupperware.
Fill with cold water - especially if you are rolling out pastry.

Great thread Elise thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

Doug Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 10:45pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

To make the PVC rolling pin more sturdy -

When buying the pipe - buy the caps that go on the ends.
They push on very tight - and no, the water doesn't leak out
Fill pipe with either cold water (great in hot weaather as it stops your hands getting sticky and warm) ...
Just like the rolling pins you used to buy many years ago from Tupperware.
Fill with cold water - especially if you are rolling out pastry.

Great thread Elise thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

and for really cold that lasts longer -- fill with ice and then add water to top it off.

(hmmmm... now if I fill it with ice and "other potables of the potent kind" does this mean after I'm all done rolling out the fondant I can have a wee bit more than tee martownies shaken, not stirred? (ok rolled, not stirred))

sugarandslice Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 11:05pm
post #19 of 23

I have a long length of PVC pipe which I use as a rolling pin but had never thought of filling it for extra weight/chill.
Great tip bluehue. Cheers!
Emma

Elise87 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:01am
post #20 of 23

bluehue is always so helpful icon_smile.gif

Ok so to sum it up i need to buy:

length of pvc water piping
flam torch
gin
dry vermouth
ice cubes

did i get it all? Who ever knew rolling out fondant could be so fun icon_biggrin.gif

Elise87 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:05am
post #21 of 23

Bunsen: what is milton and where would u get it?

Bunsen Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:08am
post #22 of 23
Quote:

Bunsen: what is milton and where would u get it?

Milton is a sterilising solution - it's the stuff you sterilise baby's bottles with - you'll find it in the supermarket near the nappies and other baby stuff.

Elise87 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:15am
post #23 of 23

cheer's bunsen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%