Cupcake Issue - Uniform Size

Baking By Caike Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 3:28am by messy_chef

Caike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caike Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:11am
post #1 of 16

So I made a batch of plain white the other day, and I thought I did a decent job of leveling them out prior to them going into the oven. They came out and were completely uneven compared to each other. Does anyone have any tips for how to get a more uniform size?

15 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:14am
post #2 of 16

A large cookie scoop or ice cream scoop icon_biggrin.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:59pm
post #3 of 16

I use a scoop. I also rotate the pan 180 degrees 1/2 way during baking.

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 16

I use a measuring cup to spoon it into the pan. 1/4" - 1/3" cup, depending on how much "muffin topping" I want it to have.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:13pm
post #5 of 16

Ditto, I use a large scoop and make sure that they go into the papers evenly. I don't jiggle the pan or try to smooth them out. Just plop them in with the scoop and put them in the oven. They come out the same size, same rounded top. Well, that is unless my 3 year old wants to help, then they aren't so uniform, we're working on her aim.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 16

Weight them - I do as with my cookies also. (Also I'm thinking of purchasing a pancake dispenser.)

Caike Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:12am
post #7 of 16

Ok, scoop or weigh - sounds easy/great. Second problem though...someone mentioned putting it in the holder evenly...

I'm not sure if it's the holders I've tried using, but when I put the batter in, I'll get one or two "pinches" (if you can call it that), where the liner pulls into the middle of the cupcake. Does this make sense? If anyone has suggestions for this I'd be happy to try them.

Thanks guys! thumbs_up.gif

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:25am
post #8 of 16

I'm having this same problem. Does anyone have a recommendation for a particular brand/size of cookie scoop? Alternatively, how would you go about weighing them? Even if you poured the batter into a small bowl to weigh, you wouldn't get it all out into the paper so that still seems like it would be imprecise.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:33am
post #9 of 16

ice cream scoop/disher

tiptop57, how do you weigh each cupcake portion to make sure each cavity contains the same weight of batter?

ETA: I just had a thought....tiptop57! I haven't seen you on here in FOREVER! Good to see you again! All is well?

Caike Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:35am
post #10 of 16

Does anyone else have the issue with the cupcake holders wrinkling in? The paper sleeves? (Do they have a proper name??)

OMGitsaLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGitsaLisa Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:38am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caike

Does anyone else have the issue with the cupcake holders wrinkling in? The paper sleeves? (Do they have a proper name??)

Yeah, basically you need to store them in a smaller container. It happens when they get too spread out and then forced back into the smaller size of the cupcake tin.

all4cake Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:40am
post #12 of 16

Some brands do it to me more than others. Those ones in the plastic tub do it the most on mine. Sometimes, one must suffer the consequences of not ordering supplies in a timely manner...

Caike Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:45am
post #13 of 16

Could it be just crappy wrappers? Like a quality issue? And how would you solve that problem? How would you store them instead?

all4cake Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:56am
post #14 of 16

You could make a tube from poster board (similar to the sleeve the bulk ones come in)or a soda bottle (cut off both ends. Then, make a cut from end to end...roll it to the size needed and tape to secure. Then, insert your liners in increments (they're already sectioned in numbers of like 25, right).

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 3:09am
post #15 of 16

I think the scoop I use is like 1.5 ounces or something...?

messy_chef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy_chef Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 3:28am
post #16 of 16

I get use a small ladle to fill them 1/2 full. I find that if I leave the batter to rest for a while at room temp before filling the cupcake liners, they have a pretty even dome and less "muffin" top. Completely unscientific findings though...could just be a coincidence in my kitchen!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%