How Do I Get Perfectly Smooth Buttercream??

Decorating By forheavenscake Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 1:02pm by crazydoglady

forheavenscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forheavenscake Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:41am
post #1 of 5

I have been trying to search for this answer and I keep seeing everyone refer to sugarshack. . .I went to this website but can't afford to purchase the DVD. . can someone please explain to me the process of covering a cake with buttercream to get the glass-like look?

I am new to decorating and so far have only tried fondant. . I am really eager to master this option as well.

Thanks so much!

4 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:51am
post #2 of 5

I highly recommend sugarshack's dvds. When/if you ever get the chance to get the dvds do so. In the meantime there are great tutorial's available. There are a couple of articles here on CC and some video's on youtube just to name a few places that you can find the info.

Here are some of the links (all of these tutorials are from CC members):

Practice is always the key though to get it down pat. I found that each one of my cakes was always better than the last.

Hope all of these links help!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:31am
post #3 of 5

I think that the biggest problem with non-smooth bc is that most people make it too thick/firm. BC should be the consistency of a stiff whipped cream. This will take letting your mixing run with the paddle on the lowest setting for perhaps ten minutes.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:02pm
post #4 of 5

Ditto for what Leah said, and use a big enough spatula to smooth it on. I think a lot of folks have trouble because they use a tiny spatula - my favorite size is the 13" one - spin the turntable and it is almost like glass with just a swipe and a spin!

crazydoglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazydoglady Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 5

leah - do you let the mixer run for 10 minutes to cream the butter/shortening or do you let it run after all of the ingredients have been added?

also, i'd like to know what others use: all shortening, shortening w/butter what is the best ratio of shortening/butter.

personally, i like the taste of butter but shortening, not so much.

thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%