Help, Brown Icing!

Decorating By carmycakes Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 3:38am by Country_girrl

carmycakes Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:25am
post #1 of 12

Hi

No matter how much brown color I add, the icing is not getting to a dark brown shade. What can I do?

thanks

11 replies
Lizzard1 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:33am
post #2 of 12

try adding a touch of black and orange. or you could try using a little bit of cocoa powder. Good Luck!

ailika Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:35am
post #3 of 12

Have you tried the wilton?

carmycakes Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:43am
post #4 of 12

I am using the Wilton brown color. I am only trying to color about 1 cup. I have the small 1/2 oz jar. It is almost 3/4 done. Should I use all? I thought about using black but was afraid.

christy633 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:49am
post #5 of 12

Hi!

I tried making brown icing for a cake last year and my friend did not want chocolate icing - just brown vanilla buttercream. I used SO much brown colour. I did add a bit of black, but I just had to add more and more brown. If you can - use cocoa! I needed it for that day, but by the next day it darkened quite a bit.

carmycakes Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:02am
post #6 of 12

I do not have cocoa. I should have made ahead of time. I had no idea how much color it would take. I will try and add some black since I only have the small bottles of color. I have it sitting for a while hoping it will darken.
Thanks for all the advice.

tannersmom Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:08am
post #7 of 12

Always remember that colors will intensify as it sits up. So be careful. Let it rest for a while and go back. Hopefully it will be brown enough.

cookiemama2 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:24am
post #8 of 12

I just asked this question on the friday cake forum...
I was making royal and wanted a dark brown. Leah
_s said to have patience because it will get darker. But It was already too late, I had added every color I own and came up with a horrible purple/black that had a horrible taste!!!
I thought i would make some weird halloween flowers or something but I ruined the icing, rather than drying proper it just seems to crumble.

LoriMc Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:04am
post #9 of 12

I get the best results from Americolor gels. I don't even bother with Wilton products anymore. Americolor makes a chocolate brown and I never have a problem with it becoming bitter. Definitely give them a try some time.

carmycakes Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:25am
post #10 of 12

Thanks. I think I will try others next time. Overall cake came out really good but used a lot of brown tint and waiting a few hours to darken.
LL

LoriMc Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:26am
post #11 of 12

Looks good to me!

Country_girrl Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:38am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

I get the best results from Americolor gels. I don't even bother with Wilton products anymore. Americolor makes a chocolate brown and I never have a problem with it becoming bitter. Definitely give them a try some time.

I second this! Americolor is where it is at!! I, until recently used Wilton because that is what I was most familiar with. However, once I used Americolor, there is no turning back. You will use much less of the product to get the desired shade. They also make a Super black and Red, these are both awesome products as well. There is no comparison!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%