Tiered Cakes, Multiple Flavors And Pricing

Business By cakesweetiecake Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 1:31am by leah_s

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 7

Just curious, when someone orders a tiered cake with multiple flavors, do you charge a different price per serving for the tiers consisting of the premium/gourmet flavor? Or is your pricing just based on whether the cake is covered in buttercream or fondant, and not taking the cake flavors into consideration?

Thank you, in advance!

6 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 7

I have flat pricing, regardless (with just barely a handful of exceptions).

If they have a 6 tier cake and want 6 different flavors with 6 different fillings, I don't charge extra. I don't charge for design, so a 6 tier cake covered with lots of BC roses cascading down the side costs the same as a plain iced cake with just a ribbon around the base.

DIfferent price for BC or fondant.

Certain cakes have a Design Fee (like my City Skyline cake on my website home page because of all of the chocolate work involved; the wedding dress cake because of the very intricate detail). If I have to buy gumpaste flowers (cherry blossom cake), there's an extra fee for that, of course.

Brides are surprised and thrilled to find out they can have any flavor they want and don't have to worry about racking up those nickels and dimes.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 7

I don't charge extra for different flavors or fillings. For the most part I have a base recipe for cake & buttercream that you can add flavors to fairly easy. The only thing that I depart from is when I have to make a curd. They're not that hard to make, so no difference in price there either. I do charge different for findant & buttercream, and yes, the design sets the price.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 7

I only charge more for cakes/fillings that contain a liqueur. And only that part of the cake with the liqueur.

sew4children Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sew4children Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 7

Flat fee no matter what flavor or filling. Every tier can be different.

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:14am
post #6 of 7

Thanks a bunch!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:31am
post #7 of 7

One of my big selling points is that I DON'T charge extra for changing flavors, fillings or filling add-ins. Customers love it. It helps set me apart from all the bakeries in town that do charge extra.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%