Cottage Food Law Coming To Michigan?

Business By adonisthegreek1 Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 4:42pm by bobwonderbuns

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 9:39pm
post #1 of 25

Due to economic hardships, Michigan is considering a cottage food law to help people supplement their income.

http://www.sustainablefarmer.com/bblog/?p=174

24 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 25

Good luck to you all, I'll be keeping my eye on the progress of this bill!

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 25

that would be too cool thumbs_up.gif thanks for sharing that link.

katefrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katefrosting Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 25

Good for Michigan! icon_biggrin.gif

Now if only some other states and counties would come to their senses!

cib Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cib Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:34am
post #5 of 25

Please someone tell me about cottage industry. I read the bill and it's a lot of lingo I don't understand. I know Ohio has this law. Does it mean I can bake out of my home kitchen if it's inspected? Help me understand this. Should I be contacting my state rep? Please tell me how to get this bill passed.

cib Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:38am
post #6 of 25

Anyone????

kelleym Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:14pm
post #7 of 25

Yes, you absolutely need to be calling your State Rep. You can ask them to explain the bill to you in more detail. Tell them you support it. Get your friends and family to call theirs also.

cib Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:38pm
post #8 of 25

Ok, just fired off a letter to my state rep who just happens to be a member of our church. We'll see what happens.

DefyGravity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DefyGravity Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:37pm
post #9 of 25

Woohoo! I just lit up Facebook with this piece of info as well as a link so everyone can find their representitive! It would be awesome if it passed!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:03pm
post #10 of 25

In Ohio, here are the laws regarding Cottage Food laws: I love Ohio for this reason lol

Ohio Department of Agriculture
Division of Food Safety
8995 East Main Street l Reynoldsburg, Ohio 43068
General Number: 614-728-6250 Fax Number: 614-644-0720
E-mail: [email protected]
Cottage Food Production Operation (Nov. 29, 2001)

What is a cottage food production operation?

A âCottage Food Production Operationâ is defined in Chapter 3715 of the Ohio Revised Code to mean a person who, in the personâs home, produces food items that are not potentially hazardous foods, including bakery products, jams, jellies, candy, and fruit butter. These foods must be labeled properly or they will be considered misbranded or adulterated.
"Home" means the primary residence occupied by the residence's owner, on the condition that the residence contains only one stove or oven used for cooking, which may be a double oven, designed for common residence usage and not for commercial usage, and that the stove or oven be operated in an ordinary kitchen within the residence.

What foods are not allowed to be manufactured for sale or distribution by a cottage food production operation?

A âCottage Food Production Operationâ is not permitted to process acidified foods, low-acid canned foods, or potentially hazardous foods. Low acid food means any food with a finished equilibrium pH greater than 4.6 and a water activity greater than 0.85. Acidified food means a low acid food to which acids or acid foods are added (Ex. Beans, cucumbers, cabbage, puddings, etc.). Potentially hazardous food means it requires temperature control because it is in a form capable of supporting the rapid and progressive growth of infectious or toxigenic microorganisms (Ex. Raw or cooked animal products, cooked vegetables, garlic in oil, cheese cakes, pumpkin pies, custard pies, cream pies, etc.)

What are the requirements for the labeling of cottage food products?

A âCottage Food Production Operationâ is required to label all of their food products and include the following information on the label of each unit of food product offered or distributed for sale:
1. The name and address of the business of the âCottage Food Production Operationâ;
2. The name of the food product;
3. The ingredients of the food product, in descending order of predominance by weight;
4. The net weight or net volume of the food product;
5. The following statement in ten-point type: âThis Product is Home Produced.â
Note: If a nutritional claim is made (i.e. low fat, salt free, etc.) federal labeling requirements must be met. Specific food labeling information is available at the ODA web site: www.state.oh.us/agr/labelingrequirements.htm.

What does the statement âthis product is home producedâ mean?

The statement means that the food product was produced in a private home that is not subject to inspection by a food regulatory authority.
Cottage Food Production Page 1 of 2

Where may a cottage food production operations sell their food products?

Cottage Food Products that are properly identified and labeled may be sold directly to the consumer from the site where the products are produced; sold through grocery stores, farm markets, farmers markets, etc.; sold and/or used in preparing food in a restaurant.

Does a cottage food production operation need to acquire a license to process and package food products?

No: A âCottage Food Production Operationâ is exempt from inspection and licensing by the Ohio Department of Agriculture. However, all food products, including those produced and packaged by a âCottage Food Production Operationâ, are subject to food sampling conducted by the Ohio Department of Agriculture to determine if a food product is misbranded or adulterated.
Questions?
Contact ODAâs Division of Food Safety at 614-728-6250 or 1-800-282-1955 (toll-free within Ohio only). Or, via e-mail at [email protected].

cib Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:09pm
post #11 of 25

Thanks K for the wealth of info there. So for every cake that goes out my door I have to have every ingredient labeled on the box? How do you handle that when it comes to wedding cakes? And I assume I'd still need insurance for liability?

DefyGravity Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 10:58pm
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cib

Thanks K for the wealth of info there. So for every cake that goes out my door I have to have every ingredient labeled on the box? How do you handle that when it comes to wedding cakes? And I assume I'd still need insurance for liability?

Everything is going to be run the same on the business end, I'm pretty sure, such as paying taxes, liability, etc.

For the ingredients, maybe you could just print out a list onto a bunch of index cards (if you have a set flavor list) and include them with each order?

kelleym Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:02pm
post #13 of 25

Whether or not you have to label the ingredients depends on what the final version of the bill says when passed. Just because it is required in Ohio does not necessarily mean it will be the law in Michigan. I really urge everyone to get in touch with your State Reps to learn more about the bill and show your support of it! thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:07pm
post #14 of 25

Well it's about time!! The thing that worries me is the small business tax in this state are the highest in the nation -- Michigan is a VERY unfriendly state to the small business. This is the problem we've always had -- they want to bring in business yet they tax the pedoodles out of them and then the food laws are a whole 'nother story! I sincerely hope Michigan can pull it together on this one!

Okay I just read the article and they refer to the Michigan State Product Center. I've dealt with them -- complete waste of time!! They talk a good talk but have no clue when it comes to the reality of the situation.

Nope, I hold no hope out for this one... Sadly... icon_rolleyes.gif

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:19pm
post #15 of 25

Good luck wishes from Oklahoma. We're trying too!!

cib Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:49am
post #16 of 25

Bob, where are you reading about the Michigan State Product Center. Why have you lost hope?????

cib Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:55am
post #17 of 25

Ok, just went back and reread the article. Doesn't say much about the product center. Can you share why you think this won't work Bob?

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:59am
post #18 of 25

I'm with Bob on this one. Sounds great, but having dealt with MI on many occasions I'd be surprised if this gets off the ground.
I hope it all works out though. I gave up on MI and went over the line to Ohio. I would have been getting taxed out the wazoo with MI, but OH is sooooooo much nicer to deal with. Not an option for most though so here's to hoping for the best. I hope everything pans out.

DefyGravity Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:52pm
post #19 of 25

I think if we really want this (which we do!) we're going to have to work for it. If anyone wanted to get together to do petition drives (maybe we could bring dummy cakes?) I'd be all for it!

I've already asked Facebook friends to send a letter to their rep, and its already generating results. I sent a note to the owner of a different website that I go to which has many Michigan members, so as soon as that gets the okay, I'll probably be soliciting support from there too, haha.

Our state is in way too bad of shape for us not to try as hard as we can! Do I need to post a picture of Rosie the Riveter? haha

bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:08pm
post #20 of 25

I don't want to get into an evil speaking/Michigan bashing contest here. I can only say I've dealt firsthand with both the state and the MSU Product Center (and yes, I can name names) and to be honest, there's a reason our state is on the bottom of every list in the nation. That's experience speaking, not my personal views on the subject.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:14pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I don't want to get into an evil speaking/Michigan bashing contest here. I can only say I've dealt firsthand with both the state and the MSU Product Center (and yes, I can name names) and to be honest, there's a reason our state is on the bottom of every list in the nation. That's experience speaking, not my personal views on the subject.

Did you happen to talk to these upstanding members of our fun loving state? icon_eek.gif

Mike

bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:16pm
post #22 of 25

icon_biggrin.gif Actually that looked a lot like me after my experience with both State and MSU!! icon_lol.gif

cib Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 9:03pm
post #23 of 25

OMG I couldn't even watch this til the end. What a sad state of affairs we have going on here. So sad we get this kind of publicity.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:23am
post #24 of 25

I couldn't get the video Mike posted. Was it deleted?

bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:42pm
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonisthegreek1

I couldn't get the video Mike posted. Was it deleted?

It was removed by the user. Thankfully!!! It was an altercation at a Lion's game with some poorly behaved Lion's fans accosting fans of another team. Sad. icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%