Questions About Fondant Cake Making One Now

Decorating By bfff17 Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 8:09pm by Lcubed82

bfff17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bfff17 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 3

I just got all my fondant suplies and just put the cake in the oven. so Now i have a few questions:

1. should I wait till the cake has cooled off to frost the outside?
2.how long will fondant keep once i make it?
3. should I wait till the cakes are out of the oven to make the fondant?
4. should i use a drop of frosting on my fondant decorations to make them stick ontop of the cake?

thanks
Gila

2 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 3

1. Yes , Otherwise your frosting will melt
2. keep it wrapped in saranwrap, clingflim or something so the air cant get to it, It should last for a while. I cant go on homemade, Ive never used it. but prebought last months
3. I dont see why you should , It can help to make it in advance to allow it to firm u some
4. are you covering the entire cake with fondant, or just decorations on frosting? If your coveringf the entire thing, so its fondant to fondant, a tiny bit of water should make it tacky enough. If its fondant to frosting, if its not crusted, then you shouldnt need anything. If it is crusted, then the tiniest amount of frosting could be used.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 3

1. Cake must be completely cool, and allowed to settle. I usually bake, then rill and crumbcoat later that day, or the next morning. I let that sit a while before continuing, so the filling has time to settle. Some people put some weight on top to encourage the settling in a shorter time.
2. Which fondant are you making? MMF and Michelle's both will keep for quite a while (Michelle says her's is good for a month at room templ) Make ahead, as both need to sit 12 hours or so before rolling.
3. As above, usually the next day or so.
4. For fondant on fondant, I use vanilla or gum-glue (a bit of gumpaste melted in water). I used Royal Icing to attach the heavier roses on my recent cake.

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%