Bronwen's Armature - What's The Head Made Out Of?

Decorating By babeebk Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 11:27pm by babeebk

babeebk Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 8

I'm trying to build myself an armature that looks like this:


I got the PVC part down, but I don't know what to make the head out of. You think a styrofoam egg will work? Have any of you taken Bronwen's sculpture class?

7 replies
megmarie Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 8

It looks like its a wood egg?

ibmoser Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 8

It is a type of high-density styrofoam like the kind used for boat bumpers. Very light, very sturdy - they don't dent or compact like regular foam and can be easily cleaned up and reused. Not something you can find in a craft store. But, you could use styrofoam eggs and just toss 'em when done. They told us exactly what the type and density is, but I can't find my notes icon_cry.gif .

LisaR64 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 9:38pm
post #4 of 8

How do you attach the PVC to the cake board?

ibmoser Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 8

The easiest way for us homecrafters to do it is with flanges bought at the hardware store.

tracycakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 9:54pm
post #6 of 8

I've taken this class with Bronwen and it's the styrofoam egg you can get at Michael's. Bronwen uses hot glue to attach it.

To attach the pvc to the board, use metal flanges. The plumbing dept can become your best friend. The elephant and clown cakes in my photos are attached that way. The clown is from Bronwen's class.HTH!

LisaR64 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 10:31pm
post #7 of 8

Can someone explain how the PVC or pipe is attached to the flange? Is it glued or does it screw in? I'm a very visual person, so I'm having trouble picturing how it would go together. Thanks.

babeebk Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 11:27pm
post #8 of 8

you ladies ROCK!!! thank you so much

Quote by @%username% on %date%