Chessboard Cake

Decorating By sweetcakesbylindsey Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 4:21am by MBoyd

sweetcakesbylindsey Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 4

I'm sure this is posted somewhere on here, but I need tips for making a chessboard cake!

1) What would you suggest to use for the board, and what technique?
2) I have the molds for the chess pieces, but they're only half molds. What is the best way to piece them together and get a minimal seam?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated icon_wink.gif

3 replies
MBoyd Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 4

when I saw this post, it reminded me that I saw this incredible cake on CC:

It looks like she made the actual board on real board and set that on top of the cake. (I probably wouldn't have thought of that...) If it were me, I'd probably make the squares out of fondant or GP.

for the molds - (chocolate, right?) when I'm doing that kind of work, I use a warming tray (these are really really easy to find at thrift stores and garage sales... they were very big in the 70's - of course you'll want to clean it really well first) Take your half molded pieces and quickly run them molded side up on the warming tray to even out the back side and get it a tiny bit melty. Then you can stick the 2 pieces together with a nice clean seam.

sweetcakesbylindsey Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:16am
post #3 of 4

Great thanks! I would have NEVER thought of the warming tray! Thanks again!

MBoyd Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:21am
post #4 of 4

I was thinking on this... if you can't find a warming tray, you could also use a heating pad under a metal cookie sheet!

Quote by @%username% on %date%