My Son Got Hurt Camping....should I...??? A Lil Long...

Lounge By deanna_cake Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 1:15pm by Loucinda

deanna_cake Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 19

hello all-
i just have a quick question. My son got injured last night camping. We were at a private horse ranch, staying in one of the cabins. We were staying in one cabin (me, son, daughter, boyfriend) and friends were staying in the next cabin (mom, dad, daughter, son-front doors about 10 feet away). The boys were in our cabin as we adults were cleaning up dinner. when we told them it was gonna be bed time their son went to their cabin. both boys were playing each others nintendo ds's, and their son left theirs in our cabin. I told my son, who was playing it, he needed to return it as it would need to be charged. he put on his shoes and walked outside (now, there is an outdoor light above the door-typical front porch light-not bright at all). my son slipped in the gravel, fell down, hit his head on the side of their cabin,and then on a rock. All in all he ended up with a big (kinda huge) fat lip, and needing 5 stitches above his eye, in his eyebrow. I did have to have the Front Office People call 911 as he was bleeding very badly and wouldn't let anyone see right away. We were also over 30min away from the closest hospital. I knew he might need urgent attention. The staff was very helpful, even sending down someone who was trained emt (lifeguard on staff) and many other people to help. (Someone even went back to our cabin to pick up his Chedda, his sleeping friend stuffed cheetah.) i was able to transport him to the hospital. My ultimate question is: does this place bear some responsibility for the conditions outside the cabin that led to him ultimately getting hurt? It was very poor lighting (their door like i said was only about 10 feet away, and you could only see about 3-4 feet with the light on.) BTW, this place also happens to be where I work, as also one of the "Front Office People", we are allowed to use the facilities with our families whenever we want, I think they should ultimately change the set up of this particular cabin area and remove the 6 or 7 large rocks (size of about 36" t.v.) that are in the immediate area. Should I ask my manager to see into insurance or anything? My son does have complete full coverage insurance, no copays or anything. Should I still bring it up?

18 replies
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 19

Well..it is a touchy situation...You are an employee there and you are allowed to use the facility at your own risk and discretion.That is not to say however that changes may be needed to upgrade the lighting conditions etc...I would suggest to the manager that the lighting be made lighter and the rocks maybe moved but starting any kind of legal action of sorts is kinda putting you in a bad position with the company.If it were me I would chalk it up to an accident and be glad that my son wasn't hurt any worse and leave it at that. Others I'm sure will have other opinions.

Auryn Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 19

Ok no offense, but why is it their fault that your son slipped?? Seems to me like they did everything in their power to take care of him.
yes very true they should probably change/upgrade the lighting.
But slipping/tripping happens everyday to everyone and its not the place's fault that your son tripped.
Hell I trip over my own two feet all the time, or over things that are blatantly obvious but its my fault I wasn't paying attention.

(mind you now I'm not blaming you as I don't think its anyone's fault, just providing a different point of view) Being as you work there, you have preexhisting knowledge of the condition of the ground and the lighting, perhaps you should have a- told your son to be careful walking outside b- not let your son walk out there in the dark but rather take it yourself c- waited until the morning when there was good lighting or even d- not stayed there at all since you knew it was such a "risk" staying there.

I think now a day's people are just to quick and eager to blame someone for what really is an accident.

When I was little I was playing around with a glass bottle, tripped on rocks at a local beach and slashed my right hand open at the palm, required a hospital visit and should have taken stitches but I wouldn't let them.
My parent's didn't try to sue the city because there were rocks on the beach, they knew it was my fault for being clumsy and just being a kid.

Mike1394 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 19

Glad your Son is fine.

No they aren't responsible. It was an accident, SH** happens. Write it off.

Mike

deanna_cake Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 19

first of all i'd like to say i appreciate your answering my questions, but i do have to point out, no i do not stay there overnight except 3 other times in a completely different cabin. I usually don't go further than the front office where i work graveyards, or the pool-about 50 yards behind the front office. usually I am there at night, so i didn't know of any "risks" or anticipate any "risks" with these rocks, i'm looking back on the situation, b/c i don't want it to happen to another child. I'm not looking to sue my work! I just wanted to know if i should bring it to their attn & basically if they were "resposible" i could make them move the rocks & change the lighting. I totally realize it was an accident. and yes looking back on it I probably should have taken it back, the sole reason I didn't is b/c I'm trying to teach him to responsible with his things/things he borrows. thank you for your replies so far.
deanna
yes, he is fine, his ego is a bit more bruised than his face ( he thinks he isn't handsome right now & i always call him "my most handsomist little man") he's out of school for the day (as we didn't get back to the cabin until after 1 a.m & i knew he'd needed the rest), and now he's starting to be ok with the fact he has stitches (his school secretary (awsome lady!) told him tomorrow she'd show him his special scar in her hair from when she was a kid, so now he knows other ppl have scars and have had stitches and their pretty and handsome still). He is still his same old character.

peg818 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 19

I agree, its an accident. Thats why they are called accidents.

Auryn Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 8:08pm
post #7 of 19

deanna
I'm glad your son is doing fine now.
Just remind him that girls think scars are cool icon_wink.gif, means his macho icon_smile.gif.
and I appreciate you teaching your son responsibility, so few parents do now a days.

Unfortunately because of the way you worded your first post, it really did seem like that suing for compensation is exactly what was on your mind

"My ultimate question is: does this place bear some responsibility for the conditions outside the cabin that led to him ultimately getting hurt? It was very poor lighting (their door like i said was only about 10 feet away, and you could only see about 3-4 feet with the light on.... Should I ask my manager to see into insurance or anything?"

You see what I mean??

As far as working with them to get things rearranged and upgraded, totally go for it.

deanna_cake Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 19

I could totally see how someone who would have initially read the first post could think that, but no not me! hence the clarification. i do try to do right by my two kids. I will talk to the manager and try my damndest to get the changes done. i'll keep ya posted...

Mike1394 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 8:23pm
post #9 of 19

Just out of curiosity why didn't he have a flashlight? Tell him the scars make him look tough, and manly LOL icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

deanna_cake Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 8:28pm
post #10 of 19

i just didn't think of giving him a flashlight. i was in mom-mode and prepping their beds for them to crawl into. I know i said we were outside cleaning up but i did walk over to the cabin to tell the kids it was bed time, and was starting to get my 4 year old daughter in her bed, i thought it would be ok, for him to walk over, there were other adults still outside, it was never as if he was completely by himself.

Texas_Rose Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 8:37pm
post #11 of 19

I wouldn't have thought of the flashlight either.

Is it possible he was playing the DS while he was walking it over, and that's why he tripped? Just sounds like something my 7 year old would have done, not trying to blame your son at all. But if my kid has something cool in her hands, that's where her attention is and not on the path.

Also, my daughter goes through a couple days when she falls a lot, every time she has a growth spurt.

My husband pointed out that if you make a big deal with your employer, they may decide not to let employees use the cabins for free anymore which might make you kind of unpopular around there.

Scars heal better on kids than they do on adults...my daughter had surgery and the incisions were along the bikini line. 7 years later, they are completely gone (I still have a c-section scar from having her icon_biggrin.gif but her scars are gone).

snowboarder Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 9:13pm
post #12 of 19

Campgrounds are notorious for dim lighting, rocks, and don't forget trees with exposed roots that trip people playing hide and seek in the light of day, giving them a sprained ankle for the rest of the camping trip. Not that I have personal experience with this or anything. icon_biggrin.gif

It's camping. If you move the rocks, fell the trees and install bright lighting, it's not so much camping anymore.

I recommend headlamps for everyone. Not only do they make night travel safe, kids love them because there are numerous ways to annoy the adults with them. Or so I've heard.

maryjsgirl Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:58am
post #13 of 19

Honestly it sounds like a freak accident. I would leave it alone.

AverageMom Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 6:25pm
post #14 of 19

It's an accident. Not your fault, not their fault. Not the rocks, trees, or moon's fault. Unless you are willing to bubble wrap your child, they are going to have accidents. Teach them by your actions to move on and let it go!

paulstonia Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:44pm
post #15 of 19

When he went to the hospital were they told how the accident occurred? I know my medical insurance always inquires if the injuries involved occurred in an accident or at work. If that is the case they may balk at paying the charges. If it happened at work or in an accident where someone else may be liable, they will try and make them pay for the expenses. While they did not intentionally cause his injury, they should have liability ins. just for such things. I probably wouldn't want to sue them either, but they maybe liable for your medical expenses. It's the same reason we have home owners ins. If your friend slips at your home and falls, your dog bites them, that's what your ins. is for.

7yyrt Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 9:40pm
post #16 of 19

I would tell them how much I appreciated the way they took care of my son, and make sure he has a flashlight next time he needs to go over after dark.
Nobody's fault. And BTW: He should have been the one to return it.

michellenj Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 11:20pm
post #17 of 19

I agree with the others-just let it go and chalk it up to clumsiness. Nobody's fault, just an accident.

margaretb Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 3:08am
post #18 of 19

You realize that if the lights are BRIGHT, then you will have ten thousand moths flying in your door every time you open it at night. Unless the rock was in an actual pathway, I would also say leave it. Sounds like an unfortunate freak accident.

My youngest son fell on a heat register and got a big cut over his top lip which turned into a scar. I told my cousin about it, and she said she had just counted the scars on her youngest's face and he had about 10. It happens.

Loucinda Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:15pm
post #19 of 19

The camping experience is not camping if you have bright lights and smooth surfaces everywhere. Accidents are just that - accidents. A flashlight is a must have for a camping trip - should be somewhere towards the top of the list. (most times when kids go to a camp they are given a list of things to bring - flashlight is always on the ones we have been given) Each of our kids had their own - for those reasons. (we even sent extra batteries because we knew they would use them alot)

When he is grown, the scar won't even be noticable (I have one in my eye brow myself from a playground injury when I was young!) You really have to look for it to even see it. I would not "dwell" on it with him - nothing good will come of that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%