I Won First And Third!

Decorating By Loucinda Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 5:57pm by Loucinda

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 17

OK - I made a post yesterday about my first competition.....I did 2 cakes one of which I adored (4 tier fondant with brown ribbons, bows and broaches) It was one I was very proud of and truely felt it was a prize winning cake......

OK - 2nd cake (3 tier buttercream with gumpaste daisies and gelatin bow) I was not really pleased with this one. I had a hard time with the corners, had a hard time deciding where to place the daisies, stacked it wrong to begin with (I meant for it to be all off centers) Just all in all had a pistol of a time with it - but figured since I worked so much on it I was still going to enter it. IT WON FIRST PLACE! I still cannot believe that it took the prize over the fondant one......I am thrilled I got 2 ribbons - but I am just shaking my head over how they judge them. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1468344&done=1
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1467595

16 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 17

Loucinda...That is Fantastic!!! Your cakes were gorgeous so I am not surprised!! Way to go girl!!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 17

Woo hoo! Doing a happy dance for ya!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 17

Beautiful cakes!
Just goes to show that we are our own worst critics.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 17

They were both beautiful!! Congrats on winning!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:10am
post #6 of 17

Congratulations!! judge.gifparty.gif They're both beautiful cakes, you deserved those ribbons!

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:11am
post #7 of 17

Yippee! Congratulations! What beautiful cakes!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:23am
post #8 of 17

Those daisies look so real! Conratulations!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:45am
post #9 of 17

Those are both beautiful cakes! I'm with you, though. I think the one with the brown bows is the better of the two from a technical standpoint. But they're both prize winners! Congratulations!!

Loucinda Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:09am
post #10 of 17

Ruth - I felt the same way... the reason I did both a buttercream and a fondant cake was just in case the judges were not fond of one medium over the other. I guess my strategy worked out. icon_wink.gif

Thank you all for the kind comments! (and the brown bow one is still my favorite!) icon_wink.gif

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:13am
post #11 of 17

Beautiful cakes--congratulations!!

mysonbronson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysonbronson Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:22am
post #12 of 17

Congratulations, your cakes are beautiful.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:23am
post #13 of 17

congratulations. loucinda.. both cakes are beautiful.. you mentioned this the other nite on friday nite cake club. . so congratulations. i am still working on mine for the oct. 14 fair , here, in raleigh, north carolina.. lotta work.. i will post mine when i finish it. it will take me just about up to the date. ha!

Loucinda Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:26am
post #14 of 17

icer101 - yep, these were the ones I was talking about! icon_biggrin.gif I will keep my fingers crossed for you - everyone sent me good cake wishes, and I will send them on to you!! thumbs_up.gif

Writecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Writecakes Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:42am
post #15 of 17

Of course you won! Those cakes are beautiful! Congratulations icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:49am
post #16 of 17

Congratufrickalations!!!! Yay!!!!
<insert clapping hands wildly smilie face>

I love the brown one--the brooches are beautiful.

This daisy one with the fresh picked looking greeny places on the flowers then the green gelatin bow--killer!

Loucinda Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:57pm
post #17 of 17

Thanks K8 - your comments mean a lot to me!

I did find out the reason the brown bow placed lower was because the judge felt that the techniques on the other cakes were more difficult. (she obviously needs to come and watch me here!) icon_wink.gif I made those isomalt jewels about a half a dozen times and still didn't get them right!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%