Commerical Kitchen In Garage

Business By babeebk Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 9:41pm by Texas_Rose

babeebk Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 7

I spent the last 9 months searching for an affordable space to open my cake business, but I havent' had much luck. After a chance encounter with a local caterer, who explained to me that she started her business out of her home, I was inspired. I've decided that I'm going to convert one half of my garage (I only store junk in it) into a commercial kitchen! In my state, a home bakery is allowed, as long as the kitchen is separate from the residential kitchen. I've contacted my local health dept and they gave me some good info.

So here's my question to you cc'ers. How many of you have a "garage" kitchen? Would you be willing to show pictures? Was it an expensive remodel? How do you like working in your space? Any tips or advice that you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

6 replies
debster Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 7

Interesting....................waiting to see the answers. In my state we can work out of our kitchens.

veronica720 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 7

This is my plan also. My kitchen will be roughly 11x21 with an office area about 5x5 (just for paperwork). We should have everything done within 5 months, we are saving so everything will be paid in cash and no loans. My husband and I are building everything which will save a ton of money. He is a plumber and we both can do the electric and building. Power tools are awesome...lol. I am a stay at home mom (even though both kids are in school...lol) so I will do alot of building during the day.

I have been researching prices for everything and it is going to cost a few thousand which includes all the appliances. I have to have all commercial appliances per health department (which bites). The walls are going to be the biggest problem, they have to be smooth and easily cleaned. So far the only thing I have been able to find is this stuff called FRP which is realy expensive ($35-4x8 sheet) it is used in alot of restuarant kitchens. It glues on top of sheetrock, so you have to buy the sheetrock and FRP.

I am going to try to buy the appliances either on e-bay or craigslist, so far they have been the cheapest. Everything else from Home Depot or Lowe's

jenncowin Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 7

I'm also interested in seeing what others post on this topic. In my county, in order to do this out of your home, you not only have to have a seperate kitchen, but it has to have a completely seperate entry and be able to be closed off (a door) from the rest of the residence. I've thought about one of those nice storage bulidings to make into a kitchen, but it's not in the cards yet.

Can't wait to see any pictures that anyone has to post of their shop.

veronica720 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 7

There are a couple of threads already with some pictures. If you do a search you might be able to find them.

veronica720 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 7

Here's one that has other links within it to other threads with pictures

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-648455-garage.html

Texas_Rose Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 9:41pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by veronica720

This is my plan also. My kitchen will be roughly 11x21 with an office area about 5x5 (just for paperwork). We should have everything done within 5 months, we are saving so everything will be paid in cash and no loans. My husband and I are building everything which will save a ton of money. He is a plumber and we both can do the electric and building. Power tools are awesome...lol. I am a stay at home mom (even though both kids are in school...lol) so I will do alot of building during the day.

I have been researching prices for everything and it is going to cost a few thousand which includes all the appliances. I have to have all commercial appliances per health department (which bites). The walls are going to be the biggest problem, they have to be smooth and easily cleaned. So far the only thing I have been able to find is this stuff called FRP which is realy expensive ($35-4x8 sheet) it is used in alot of restuarant kitchens. It glues on top of sheetrock, so you have to buy the sheetrock and FRP.

I am going to try to buy the appliances either on e-bay or craigslist, so far they have been the cheapest. Everything else from Home Depot or Lowe's

The places I have worked that had a cheap kitchen conversion had plastic panels for the walls...cheap stuff like the bathroom wall stuff in cheap mobile homes. Like this: http://www.hectorshardware.biz/shop/product.asp?dept_id=428&sku=118710& and then plastic strips between the panels.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%