Suggestions For How To Do These Mini Cakes Please

Decorating By Lenette Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 10:32pm by cs_confections

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:55pm
post #1 of 5

I have seen several versions of these mini cakes. I think they are just adorable! I thought I would check here to see if any of you have ideas for doing these. Thank you!
LL

4 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 5

These are somewhat like the Christmas ornament cakes or chocolate that everyone raves about every year....Some are made with chocolate and round plastic molds and then decorated.They could probably be made with the small ball pan also and then just glue each half together and either cover in fondant or pour over ganache or a type of pourable icing.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 5

Oh wow! Those are gorgeous!

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 9:50pm
post #4 of 5

Just thinking outside the box here, but is it possible that those could be formed cake balls that were then covered in fondant and decorated? I suspect that the buttercream that's incorporated into the cake balls would allow the fondant to stick to them. I'm sure they would taste great too.

That might be an option if you don't have any of the round molds. Beautiful cakes!

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 10:32pm
post #5 of 5

I think Mrs Nancy is right. I think the larger ones were formed with an ice cream scoop. I think it had to be a pourable covering or something that could be dipped, though. It seems like it would be near impossible to cover a small ball with a piece of fondant and still have it sit flat like these do.

Plus, I noticed some of the them have a little bit of white (cake or icing) that you can see at the bottom. I don't know if it's just a dab of icing to keep them on the little rounds or the cake mix that expands through the bottom after they've been covered.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%