Calling All Cake "chemists"

Decorating By dynee Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 12:15am by costumeczar

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 6

I was looking for a White Velvet cake recipe and stumbled on this white cake recipe. I adapted it with buttermilk and vinegar(from what I can tell that is what makes a regular flavor cake a "Velvet" cake...Please correct me if I am wrong) http://www.easy-cake-ideas.com/white-cake-recipe.html This cake has 6 Tablespoons of corn starch in it. I was skeptical but tried it anyway with cupcakes. The first day I hated it to the point that I deleted it from my Velvet recipe document and baked another. It was very dense and somewhat dry and tasted more like a muffin. Here's the thing I iced and filled them with SMBC and the next day I kind of liked it. It seems to have gained moisture and the taste had improved. Now a week later after having been in the refrigerator in a closed container they are heavenly with a very fine crumb and very moist.
My question is this: Is it possible that the cornstarch in them is causing them to gain moisture? Or was that the SMBC icing and filling?

5 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 6

If you are using buttermilk, you do not need vinegar. Vinegar is added to regular milk to make buttermilk.

I have not ever seen a cake recipe which calls for corn starch. Perhaps I am sheltered.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 6

I had never seen a cake with corn starch either. Still looking for an answer from someone how can tell me the thinking behind it.

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 6

I've seen cake flour conversions that call for cornstarch and all-purpose flour. Maybe they just did the converting for you.
I can't help with the moisture thing.

juliesincredibles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juliesincredibles Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 6

I found an answer http://www.recipesecrets.net/forums/cooking-tips/2101-cake-flour-vs-all-purpose-flour.html

If a recipe asks for cake flour and you have only all purpose flour, then remove 2 tablespoons of flour from every cup called for in the recipe and add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. It's a gluten thing...

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:15am
post #6 of 6

Genoise cakes use cornstarch and wheat flour. They get their moisture from cake syrup, though, and without it they're pretty much just a dry sponge. The cornstarch will give you a tighter grain than using wheat flour by itself. The cake that you made is probably getting the moisture from the icing recirculating into it, I can't think of anywhere else it would be coming from.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%