Calling All Cake "chemists"

Decorating By dynee Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 12:15am by costumeczar

dynee Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 6

I was looking for a White Velvet cake recipe and stumbled on this white cake recipe. I adapted it with buttermilk and vinegar(from what I can tell that is what makes a regular flavor cake a "Velvet" cake...Please correct me if I am wrong) This cake has 6 Tablespoons of corn starch in it. I was skeptical but tried it anyway with cupcakes. The first day I hated it to the point that I deleted it from my Velvet recipe document and baked another. It was very dense and somewhat dry and tasted more like a muffin. Here's the thing I iced and filled them with SMBC and the next day I kind of liked it. It seems to have gained moisture and the taste had improved. Now a week later after having been in the refrigerator in a closed container they are heavenly with a very fine crumb and very moist.
My question is this: Is it possible that the cornstarch in them is causing them to gain moisture? Or was that the SMBC icing and filling?

5 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 6

If you are using buttermilk, you do not need vinegar. Vinegar is added to regular milk to make buttermilk.

I have not ever seen a cake recipe which calls for corn starch. Perhaps I am sheltered.

dynee Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 6

I had never seen a cake with corn starch either. Still looking for an answer from someone how can tell me the thinking behind it.

leahk Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 6

I've seen cake flour conversions that call for cornstarch and all-purpose flour. Maybe they just did the converting for you.
I can't help with the moisture thing.

juliesincredibles Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 11:35pm
post #5 of 6

I found an answer

If a recipe asks for cake flour and you have only all purpose flour, then remove 2 tablespoons of flour from every cup called for in the recipe and add 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. It's a gluten thing...

costumeczar Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 12:15am
post #6 of 6

Genoise cakes use cornstarch and wheat flour. They get their moisture from cake syrup, though, and without it they're pretty much just a dry sponge. The cornstarch will give you a tighter grain than using wheat flour by itself. The cake that you made is probably getting the moisture from the icing recirculating into it, I can't think of anywhere else it would be coming from.

Quote by @%username% on %date%