2 Questions:changing The Original Order And Contracts

Business By bfranzen Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 4:37pm by indydebi

bfranzen Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 4

I had someone order a cake last week for this upcoming Friday. I quoted a price for a basic sheet cake with a simple golf design. The next day, she called back and asked to change to a carved "toilet shaped" cake with "turning forty is the sh%ts". I told her it was much more cake than she needed and that I didn't feel comfortable doing the cake. Then she proceeded to call me three times and email me twice with "more ideas" for the golf cake. I realized after my last conversation that I should have charged her more, but wasn't sure how to say it without sounding like I wasn't sure of my prices, etc. How do you handle it when a client keeps trying to change an order?

Also, I've been reading quite a bit here on CC about contracts. Do I need to do some kind of a contract when someone calls me for a cake in the coming week or two? (I'm talking about a birthday cake, bridal shower cake, etc.) Not sure how to go about that. (I have a licensed kitchen in my home).

Thanks!

3 replies
LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 4

Always get a contract for everything! If she wants to add details, fine. As she makes the request let her know the price increase for each extra detail. I've seen too many people on here take a order, give a set price, then client bumps up the design thinking it'll be the same price, cause the decorator doesn't tell them, and then the decorator is frustrasted. A contract will have the design with the price for it. It will also have in the contract that any design changes may inccur additional charges.

ccr03 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:27pm
post #3 of 4

I only do contracts on orders of more than 100 servings. I do order forms for the rest.

When I have customers changes something, I tell them right away that change may be more. And then figure the pricing. If they come back saying they want the same price I let them know what can be doen for the same price. However, I hardly ever have to adjust the price b/c the majority of the design is included in my base price.

indydebi Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 4

"Sure, we can do that! Let me email you the revised pricing with these changes and I'll need an email back from you to confirm."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%