Fondant Letters

Decorating By Writecakes Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 2:37am by Writecakes

Writecakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 7

How do you all get your fondant letters so perfect that you place on cake and cake boards? Do you use a stencil or some type of cutout? I love the look and would like to get what ever tools I need to accomplish it. Thanks so much icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Teekakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 7

Wilton makes a letter press set that many use. You press the letters into the cake then trace them with buttercream thinned with some piping gel, or a little bit of karo. These are readily available at Walmart, Michaels, JoAnns, Hobby Lobby, etc..
Tappits are my favorite letter cutters to use. They are made like a ruler and have the alphabet on them. Gumpaste is rolled very thin, allowed to dry for a couple of minutes, then you cut the letters out, let them dry a bit or for days if you want to make them ahead.
Tappits can be purchased at GSA here, http://www.globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=tappits As you can see they come in a variety of designs as well as the alphabet and numbers.

grandmom Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 7

I have done it several ways. If you click on my Photos at the bottom of this post, you'll see a Princess cake with lettering on the cake board. I used Wilton's alphabet cutters for that one. I also have several Tappits, another brand and method of cutting letters.

Right now I'm working on a cake where I needed the font to be an exact replica of one used in a logo, so I printed the logo, cut out the letters and am using them as a template to cut from gum paste.

There are tricks to any of the methods. For the Wilton cutters, I lightly grease the surface with Crisco, roll the paste very thin, let it dry a few minutes, then use the cutters.

For the Tappit method, I grease as above, but cut while the paste is still fresh. I remove the excess, but leave the letters to dry in place.

For cutting by hand, I roll the gum paste very thin, then let it get almost dry. I then press the cardstock template into the paste with a fondant smoother, moving back and forth just a little, then trace the shape with a very sharp x-acto knife. Because the paste is nearly dry, pressing does not flatten it further.

Writecakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:56pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you - the Tappits seem really nice. Do they release easily? I really love the elegant look of the letters in those sets. Thanks so much for taking the time to post that link icon_smile.gif

grandmom Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 7

The Tappits take some practice to get things to release properly. I had a horrible time until I remembered Edna made a Youtube tutorial, see here:

There is another tutorial showing a different way to get the letters out, but it doesn't work for me.

Teekakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 7

They do release easily, just make sure you roll the gumpaste thin. It also helps to lightly dust the top of the gumpaste with cornstarch before you cut the letter out. Tappits are my favorites to use! icon_smile.gif

Writecakes Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:37am
post #7 of 7

Thanks so much for posting the tutorial and for all the advice. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%