Advice On Trying To Make A Tall Cake

Decorating By Agamemnonsmom Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 4:39pm by jobueno

Agamemnonsmom Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 3

I'm a beginner cake maker and want to make a tall cake for my sons birthday. I was thinking about using 6", 8", 10", and 12" pans. I'm not sure if I will do 2 or 3 layers of each pan size. I know I need to use 3 boards under, one under the 6" stack, 8" stack, and 10" stack with dowels rods. What size dowel rods would be best (I've use the ones from Lowe's before and cut myself). Is this a hard cake size for a beginner to do? Will I have problems with it toppling over?

Any advice?

2 replies
grandmom Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 3

Ummmm, I don't mean this to sound smart or buttinsky, really! But do you realize how much cake that is?? That is HUMONGOUS, at just two layers per pan, never mind three. According to the servings charts, that is 100 party-sized servings, 130 wedding-sized servings.

It's not so much that the cake sizes are hard, you just need a good understanding of how to stack and support the cakes. Someone else will jump in here with links on "everything you need to know about...".

I can tell you from experience that you will want to double cardboard cake boards. And there are several ways to support the layers besides dowels. There is a system called SPS, and many use bubble tea straws. But if using dowel, the 1/4 inch is commonly used between the tiers, with maybe a larger one driven down through the center of all.

jobueno Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 3

Hi there grandmom;
I will tell you from the start that, that is a huge cake. you'll have cake for months. But if you really want to do this instead of dowels use the plastic dowels that Wilton sells in packs of 4 to support your cake's weight instead of dowels. Also, this is assuming the cake isn't going to travel.
If it is, you'll then need something sturdier than cake boards underneath each tier. And you will have to have a solid galvanized pipe straight through your cake attached at the masin base board by a flange. Power tools and engineering come into play with something this big. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%