Freezing The 1 Year Anniversary Cake

Decorating By OregonCakeLady Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 3:50pm by OregonCakeLady

OregonCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OregonCakeLady Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 8

I have a bride who ordered a separate one year ann. cake. The cake will be in the shape of a pumpkin and so it will be covered in fondant. Will this cake be awful in a year?
I told her that I couldn't advise on how to store or save the cake because I don't recommend anyone eating something that old.
What would you do?

7 replies
Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 8

This particular thread is running right now and might give you some tips..

HTH!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=651782&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Jenthecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenthecakelady Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:55pm
post #3 of 8

I don't know about the fondant, but I did freeze the top tier of my own wedding cake for our first anniversary and it was fantastic-tasted like the day of the wedding. I put it in our deep freeze which also has other things in it so I went a little extreme on the wrapping. I put it in a layer of cling wrap, a layer of aluminum foil and then placed that in a tuppperware container. Defrost slowly in the fridge would be my #1 piece of advice-you don't want it to thaw too quickly or you could have problems with colors bleeding. Our cake was all BC.

mwest110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mwest110 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 8

I don't think you can freeze fondant.
What about telling her you'll remake the top layer a year later for X amount. They way it's fresh.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:07pm
post #5 of 8

You can freeze fondant covered cakes... The trick to allowing it to thaw properly upon removal from the freezer is letting it come to room temp inside a cardboard box. The cardboard absorbs the condensation keeping the fondant from taking on too much moisture. I've never frozen one for more than a week; however, and that was because the party had to be delayed. It was fine after a week in the freezer and thawed the way described above.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 8

I would think the fondant might actually help preserve the cake inside. Maybe not eat the fondant? The freezer should keep it from becoming harmful, even if it doesn't look great after thawing.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 8

I did a wedding cake as a gift for a coworker, and she froze her top tier - wrapped in it saran wrap twice and then foil, then placed it in a big zip lock bag, she said it was delicious and fresh tasting when she thawed it out for her anniversary. The cake and fondant should be fine, as long as it's wrapped air tight and thawed before unwrapping it.

OregonCakeLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OregonCakeLady Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:50pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwest110

I don't think you can freeze fondant.
What about telling her you'll remake the top layer a year later for X amount. They way it's fresh.

I tried that. For some reason she wants it to be an old cake icon_smile.gif
I always tell my brides that I will make them a new cake a year later for a discount and they usually bite on that but this one wanted to keep her cake. I'm sure that the cake will be fine., i am just worried that the airbrushed fondant will look sick after a year. I will tell her to let it fully thaw out before unwrapping it. Thanks for all your advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%