Best Mix For Decorations That Will Likely Be Eaten?

Decorating By -Tubbs Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 9:45pm by Kiddiekakes

-Tubbs Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 9

I'm doing a cupcake wedding in a couple of weeks, and will be making approx 100 decorative daisies to go on the cupcakes and the 6" cutting cake. Since these will be on the cupcakes themselves, I'm thinking that people will probably eat them, therefore I'm not keen on doing them in 100% gumpaste. I haven't mixed fondant/gumpaste before, so for those that have, what would be a good proportion of each, or should I just add Gumtex to the fondant and be done with it..?

Thanks for any help!

8 replies
CookieD-oh Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:49pm
post #2 of 9

OK, so I don't really have an answer to your question, but I love your new avatar!

I have made daisies out of straight fondant on a couple of occasions and it's worked out fine. That being said, I'm not a professional and I really don't know what I'm talking about.

LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 9

If you want a guranteed safe eat, pipe them on with buttercream. Daisies are not that hard to pipe.

Toptier Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 9

You could also do them out of modeling chocolate, or a mixture of this and fondant.

CakeMommyTX Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:08pm
post #5 of 9

You can add Tylose to the fondant, it does'nt effect the taste as much as gumpaste and won't dry as hard (so no one chips a tooth icon_lol.gif )

You can always do them in just fondant and let the flowers dry a day or two, they will get hard enough to hold their shape but still be soft enough to chew.

When I do fondant deco on cc's I use plain fondant.

-Tubbs Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 7:57pm
post #6 of 9

I appreciate your replies. Yes, breaking a tooth would be a worst-case scenario, but I also don't want anything tasting really bad either! I don't want to pipe anything, because the bride wants hand-made flowers.

I think I'll experiment with adding a little gumtex to the fondant to see if it will firm it up a little without making it brittle.

Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 8:13pm
post #7 of 9

Natalie,

The best is the Decorrice Fondant by Dawn foods.It smells and tastes like Cotton Candy.PM Hobby also sells it by the pail.I use this all the time for my fondant decorations and kids and adults always eat them!!!

Oh yeah..I use it straight out of the pail..no tylose anything...It is soft but add more powdered sugar and it stiffens up.Great taste!!

-Tubbs Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 8:41pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Natalie,

The best is the Decorrice Fondant by Dawn foods.It smells and tastes like Cotton Candy.PM Hobby also sells it by the pail.I use this all the time for my fondant decorations and kids and adults always eat them!!!

Oh yeah..I use it straight out of the pail..no tylose anything...It is soft but add more powdered sugar and it stiffens up.Great taste!!

Thanks Laurel - I didn't think to just add more icing sugar. Will give it a try.

BTW I'm now buying Decorice direct from Dawn - $24/bucket, as opposed to $47 or whatever it is from PM Hobbycraft thumbs_up.gif . Now just need to find a wholesale supplier for choc fondant. Do you know of anywhere?

Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 9:45pm
post #9 of 9

Me too..I buy wholesale from Dawn too.Cheaper then PM...Hmmm..chocolate fondant..You may have to buy from Cake Mischief out of Beaumont Alta..she sells it I think.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%