How Do You Place Gp Flowers On A Cake

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 5:09pm by Win

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:30am
post #1 of 19

I made the gp flowers and I don't know how to put them on the cake other than lay them on it lol....if I cover a cake with fondant how will I attach the gp flowers? TIA

18 replies
madgeowens Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:58am
post #2 of 19

I made some with toothpicks stuck in the bottom and I can stick those in the cake no problem, but the ones I put on wires to dry upside down hanging.....I am at a loss how to place them..........anyone???

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:21am
post #3 of 19

From the class I just took, depending on the kind of floral display you are trying to achieve, you can take a small square or circle of styrofoam covered in fondant to match your cake and stick the wires into that. You would be building it on top of a cake pan the size of your top tier to get the sizing right. Then you can finish by putting a toothpick in the top tierof real cake where you want the display placed and attach the styro there. Can you see what I am saying? If not let me know and I will try to redo it.

mygirlssweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mygirlssweet Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:32am
post #4 of 19

Use flower picks, straws or stir sticks. But them in your cake and then stick the wired flowers in them. Never but the wires directly into the cake.

madgeowens Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:37am
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyascakes

From the class I just took, depending on the kind of floral display you are trying to achieve, you can take a small square or circle of styrofoam covered in fondant to match your cake and stick the wires into that. You would be building it on top of a cake pan the size of your top tier to get the sizing right. Then you can finish by putting a toothpick in the top tierof real cake where you want the display placed and attach the styro there. Can you see what I am saying? If not let me know and I will try to redo it.

Thats ingenious, thank you soooooooooooooo much, i never would have thought of that..I am sorry I cut the dam wires off now hahaha....back to the drawing board...thanks so very much!

madgeowens Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:38am
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygirlssweet

Use flower picks, straws or stir sticks. But them in your cake and then stick the wired flowers in them. Never but the wires directly into the cake.

But if I cut the floral wire off is there nothing else I can do? I suppose gp too hard to stick a tooth pick into after three days huh? Darn...thanks

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:41am
post #7 of 19

Oh it is okay. Pluss even if you cut some of the wires down, just try them out in the styro anyway. Depending on the result you are trying to achieve it may turn out ok anyway. We were cutting the wires and then sticking them in randomly and it came out great! I do stress that she did have us lay a base of leaves at the bottom to give us a line to work up from. You can do it!!! Be random and keep looking at what you are doing every few minutes to make sure there are no wholes or awkward formations! Good luck and please post pics!

madgeowens Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:59am
post #8 of 19

Maybe I need it broke n down to pebble level haha.......how can you stick the flowers in the fondant covered styrofoam if there is no wires on the flowers?

mygirlssweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mygirlssweet Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:43pm
post #9 of 19

If you have cut all the wires off, you could just make a ball of fondant, kinda flatten it a little and and attach it to the cake with some RI and then place you flowers on or into the fondant with some RI. I always leave some wire on my flowers, but I think youv'e learnt that.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:02pm
post #10 of 19

I used RI to attach roses that I had removed the toothpicks, then realized that was dumb and just used the toothpicks on the rest!! I did put a dab of RI under just to be sure.
For flowers and beads on wire, I make a little pick by sticking them in a coffee stirrer, then used a kabob skewer to make a neat hole in my fondant, then pushed it in.

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:09pm
post #11 of 19

I had this dilema also. I made 5 wired roses and bunched them together with tape. I couldn't really stick it in the cake as the flowers were so heavy, it would have dragged the fondant as it would lean to one side. I ended up wrapping the stem with a ribbon and placing it on top of the cake as a bouquet. If I had taped it all with florists tape, would it have been too late to put it into an oasis or styrafoam? The stem was too thick, how would it have gone in? In the future, shoudn't I have bundled the roses together before putting it on the cake?

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:39pm
post #12 of 19

I do it a couple of different ways depending on the effect I want. If I built the rose on a toothpick and desire a random effect, I'll just stick them into the cake. Some gumpaste flowers I simply dry in an egg carton and then use a dot of RI to adhere it to the cake. Finally, I have used the Styrofoam disks found in hobby stores to "build" my flowers up. I use a flat disk or the one gently domed. I wrap my wires in floral tape to give a finished appearance. When I build upwards, I fill in the gaps with fresh gumpaste flowers so they can dry in place and I don't have to try to cram it in causing breakage at a later date.

HTH!

Examples:
built on a dome:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1415352

RI and dried in an egg carton:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1322183

built from a disk to match the size of the cake:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1327392

toothpicks stuck into cakeboard:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1435894

edited for typo

madgeowens Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:54pm
post #13 of 19

WIN your flowers are gorgeous and thanks for all the help, it did help.....now I can try and figure out the ones I stupidly chopped off the wires grrr....I wont do that again icon_smile.gif

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:54pm
post #14 of 19

Win, thanks great examples!

Win Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:30pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgeowens

WIN your flowers are gorgeous and thanks for all the help, it did help.....now I can try and figure out the ones I stupidly chopped off the wires grrr....I wont do that again icon_smile.gif

Thanks, Madge. You didn't mention what type of flowers...? One thing comes to mind: Often the flower is still rather soft in the center for a number of days. You could try inserting a tooth pick or cocktail stick coated in "glue" (part water part gumpaste to form a glue-like consistency) into the base of the flower and proceed from there. This would give it stability, but does not allow for you to be able to arrange it in anything other than a rather stiff presentation --but that works for the domes of Styrofoam so it might be the way you could go.

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:26pm
post #16 of 19

Also, what length do you make the wires before you stick it into the oasis dome / fondant dome? How can you stick thr wire into the styrafoam? Someone told me to prick a pin into it before you put the wire in so that it has an indentation but the pin is smaller than the wire.

Win Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 7:37pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCakeCrazy

Also, what length do you make the wires before you stick it into the oasis dome / fondant dome? How can you stick thr wire into the styrafoam? Someone told me to prick a pin into it before you put the wire in so that it has an indentation but the pin is smaller than the wire.

I cut regular flower wires into thirds. I use the paper covered wires sold by Global Sugar Art:

[url]
http://www.globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=floral+wire&searchimage.x=0&searchimage.y=0[/url]

This gives me the length I need to hook them over a rack to dry. After all is said and done and the flower is complete (some have leaves wired to them as well which makes them thicker) and the whole thing is wrapped in a final layer of floral tape, I then use a pointed tool from my clay making kit to poke the hole into the Styrofoam. Indeed, that is much larger than a pin - but probably about the size (at the tip) of a picture hanging nail. Also, because they are so fragile, you have to be careful about how you get them into the arrangement so I use a pair of surgical clamps to hold the stem while I push down into the foam. That way, my fat fingers are not bumping into the other already placed flowers. As it is, I break so many that I have learned to make more than I anticipate I need for a project.
icon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:05am
post #18 of 19

I am making roses and lilies and daisies and some that look like impatiens....I already broke a daisy leaf and a leaf grrr.....I am sticking them in a plop of fondant and gonna stick that on the top...now for the ones on the front....will skewers work or will they fall out from weight of flowers?

Win Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 5:09pm
post #19 of 19

Skewers? Or cocktail sticks? Skewers might be too heavy. Cocktail sticks (longer than a toothpick) should be just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%