Wrap Or Cover?

Decorating By ljdills Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 2:12pm by dandelion56602

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:59am
post #1 of 6

I am making a "cup" using two 6 in and two 8 in rounds and I am going to have the coke suspended above the cake like it is pouring into the cup. I want to cover the cup in fondant. Should I wrap the fondant around the side or cover the cake with the fondant? Does that make sense?

5 replies
ljdills Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:35am
post #2 of 6

Anyone? Please...

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:02am
post #3 of 6

I saw where someone turned the cake upside down and covered it from small end to large end (easier to smooth the fondant).

Then you can cut a circle of fondant for the upper part.

On the other hand...I have a coffee cup/fish cake and I...hmmm I actually can't remember how I did it...but I think I just covered it in fondant and then attached a band of thick fondant along the top to make the top part of the cup "hollow" and then used a stripe to cover the seam....and then used piping gel coffee on the inside.

Not sure if that helps... (I just posted the fish pic, thought I had it in my photos but could not find it...I better look again just in case.)

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:42am
post #4 of 6

With my grill cake & baby carriage/pram cake I covered upside down then flipped. I've read some horror stories about covering w/ the wide part up top. You could wrap but i think you'd get a lot of bulging since it's not straight up & down. Maybe someone that's covered it that way can help

ljdills Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 8:31am
post #5 of 6

Thank you both for your replies. Let me make sure I am understanding (it is late and I'm only half awake !)
The base of my cup is smaller than the top, so I should turn it over where the base is on top and cover it, then flip it back over? Should I then cut a seperate piece of fondant to cover the top or leave enough overflap to smooth out and cover the top when flipped back over?

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 6

This is what I did.

Roll a snake of fondant & place around the wide end of the cake. i put it in the freezer to firm it up (abt 9 min in my deep freezer). I rolled out my fondant, took out my cake, flipped upside down, covered & flipped back over & tucked the excess into the center. I cut off the excess & then placed a circle of fondant over that w/ piping gel on the back to hold it & keep it in place. *Don't forget to quickly wet the top of the "sausage/snake" before smoothing out the excess or it won't stick. Also wet the sides of the sausage/snake before flipping over or gravity will take its toll.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%