Wedding Cake Wars - What Did You Think?

Decorating By Jeff_Arnett Updated 31 Oct 2009 , 12:04pm by todolomio

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:29am
post #61 of 73

I stand in awe of both of you for doing this.

I was so impressed with both your attitudes, skill and wonderful creations.

I was disappointed that after all the build up, we saw so little of the final product.

I need to go to Puerto Rico to check out the fort icon_biggrin.gif

BTW, Carolina, your husband is a real sweetie. I loved how carefully he worked. He really did not want to mess up. icon_lol.gif

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:34am
post #62 of 73

Saberger I just had my daugher pull your cake and it is beautiful! I get why they picked the Russian cakes,cause of the different shapes, but I thought it was borgin looking. Your had a way bigger WOW factor. To each his own I guess.

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:50am
post #63 of 73

Carolina, PLEASE post a picture of your cake, we saw it for such a short time & both my husband & I agreed it looked just like the 'Old Fort'. You did such a good job from the little we could see.

bizcocho Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizcocho Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:30pm
post #64 of 73

Todolomio:
Well I have to admit that I was very disappointed because I did not get to see a close up of the "El Morro". I was looking forward to seeing it. I think the fact that they showed u with the children and all was very nice, because it is realistic for those cake decorators/bakers that have to juggle their business life with their family life. Like you I love my cake decorating but my family comes first!! It was nice to see your husband work with you and how supportive he was. I take my hat off for you. If you can post pictures of the cake. God Bless and hope you continue with more blessings and talent with your cake. Besides you like many others that were there are a winner, because I couldn't not be in front of a camera, audience and much less put myself under that stress!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:33pm
post #65 of 73

The Russian cake was not finished either--I mean she places second & Jay said she had the potential to go for the gold. I think's that's awesome for her after only two years & her assistant was with her only two months.

Yes, I wish they would have named each person and shown them with their finished cakes at least once.

todolomio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
todolomio Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:09pm
post #66 of 73

Hi dkelly, no reason to be apologetic. I'm not offended what so ever. When you get into something like this you know there will be questions, feedback, likes, dislikes, etc... I praise the Lord that they did not put me on TV changing diapers! Even though I wash my hands every time I change him they could of opted to omit that part and put me baking a cake immediately after! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif They also omitted me having to clean, cook, do laundry, run out to the stores, yada, yada, yada.....

I just thought I would answer your question. Remember, I'm Latina and sometimes I can come across a little too passionate! icon_redface.gif

Thanks, saberger for your comment. The truth is I was not at all pleased with my cake. If I would have had more time I would of loved it! I was thinking of doing it all over again the way I wanted it to look. Funny I had a girl from New York City call me to replicate the cake for her wedding!!! She is from PR and her whole family too. I told her that I would do a better job icon_biggrin.gif I never go to NY but, I guess I might just do this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by todolomio

I have 3 kids 7, 4 and 1 one with Autism that was the whole reason why I quite my job and started baking. I actually had a babysitter across the street that would take them while we tapped. They recorded our family for 3 whole days from dawn to dusk and more than half was not shown!!!! They edit and tweak the show to what they think will sell. I truly bake from 9pm to 4 am in the morning. The kids wake up at 7 for school!!! Many sleepless nights as many of you already know do!!!

Ahhh, the magical world of television. I am sorry if I offended you it certainly was not my intent. I shouldn't type and watch tv at the same time.

Those edits never seem to portray things the way they really are, do they. I guess that's what makes for interesting television drama.

It must have been so frustrating to have them in your home for so long and then watch the final product and see that they didn't use most of what they filmed.

As far as the show being longer........I vote for the entire 7 hrs, then we would really get to see everything.

Hi

MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:56am
post #67 of 73
Quote:

Quote:

I DVR'd it and am watching it now......so far I like it.

One observation......
I don't know how that one lady gets anything done with one kid hanging on her leg and the other in the playpen. Just how many hours a day do you think that poor little guy spends in that playpen anyway?

Back to watching.

Well answering your question. I only bake in the night time. In this occasion the show was being taped in the daytime. What they did not show is that I had a babysitter across the street that had the kids while we tapped. So, on his defense he is a healthy rugrat! On my defense my kids come first! Always! Hope you all enjoyed the show.

Carolina

Glad to see you here Carolina! I was totally rooting for you the whole time, and that was mainly because I could relate so much to you. I also have 2 small children, and it's really quite the juggling act to get cake-related things finished with both of them requiring a lot of my attention.

I was so pleased to see your husband on your team. Unfortunately my DH wouldn't know the difference between fondant and buttercream icon_lol.gif

I thought you did a great job, and I had to roll my eyes at Jay's comment about your cake being 'amateurish'. icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_smile.gif

todolomio Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:49pm
post #68 of 73

Thanks Mrs. NancyB: I was crushed when one of my idols said that but the truth is that it really was not at all what I do. I'm ok with that. He does not know me and he was doing what he needed to do... Judge. I know that there were harsher comments on other contestants than me.

c.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsNancyB

Quote:

Quote:

I DVR'd it and am watching it now......so far I like it.

One observation......
I don't know how that one lady gets anything done with one kid hanging on her leg and the other in the playpen. Just how many hours a day do you think that poor little guy spends in that playpen anyway?

Back to watching.

Well answering your question. I only bake in the night time. In this occasion the show was being taped in the daytime. What they did not show is that I had a babysitter across the street that had the kids while we tapped. So, on his defense he is a healthy rugrat! On my defense my kids come first! Always! Hope you all enjoyed the show.

Carolina

Glad to see you here Carolina! I was t

otally rooting for you the whole time, and that was mainly because I could relate so much to you. I also have 2 small children, and it's really quite the juggling act to get cake-related things finished with both of them requiring a lot of my attention.

I was so pleased to see your husband on your team. Unfortunately my DH wouldn't know the difference between fondant and buttercream icon_lol.gif

I thought you did a great job, and I had to roll my eyes at Jay's comment about your cake being 'amateurish'. icon_rolleyes.gif

icon_smile.gif

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 4:57pm
post #69 of 73

[/quote]

icon_smile.gif[/quote]Am I confused....isn't he the one that is on lots of the challenges and Kerry Vincent always gives him a hard time?

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:04pm
post #70 of 73

yeah, he is, but it is a show and they need harsh comments or it wouldn't be interesting...or so they think. I didn't take anything they said personally for exactly that reason. I remembered RBI saying that he couldn't be a judge because he would have been giving encouraging comments rather than the disparaging ones the directors wanted.

There are things I would have done differently, but it was our first time and we had fun. That's all that matters to me.

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:09pm
post #71 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_Arnett

icon_smile.gif[/quote]Am I confused....isn't he the one that is on lots of the challenges and Kerry Vincent always gives him a hard time?[/quote]

yup. bitter maybe??

i still think he's adorable to look at icon_redface.gif

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 5:31pm
post #72 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

Quote:

icon_smile.gif

Am I confused....isn't he the one that is on lots of the challenges and Kerry Vincent always gives him a hard time?[/quote]

yup. bitter maybe??

i still think he's adorable to look at icon_redface.gif[/quote]I just question some of the choices of judges they have on some of these shows.

todolomio Posted 31 Oct 2009 , 12:04pm
post #73 of 73
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

Quote:

icon_smile.gif

Am I confused....isn't he the one that is on lots of the challenges and Kerry Vincent always gives him a hard time?

yup. bitter maybe??

i still think he's adorable to look at icon_redface.gif[/quote]I just question some of the choices of judges they have on some of these shows.[/quote]

A little late to comment but, I have to agree he is CUTE!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%