Wedding Cake Wars - What Did You Think?

Decorating By Jeff_Arnett Updated 31 Oct 2009 , 12:04pm by todolomio

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:02am
post #1 of 73

Anyone catch Wedding Cake Wars on WeTV tonight? What did you think about it?

72 replies
dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:07am
post #2 of 73

Well, I'm watching the new one tonight and I love it! They seem to show more of the prep work and behind the scenes stuff that is really missing in the other cake shows. Maybe if more shows were like this we wouldn't have so many posts about people who want sculpted cakes in no time for no money.

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:08am
post #3 of 73

SPOILER ALERT (SORRY)

I enjoyed they way they followed some of the designers.

I just with they had followed Ruth Rickey (the amazing winner) cause I took a class from her at ICES and she is both talented and a real sweetheart

I also like the judges. They were less snarky than judges on some shows and yet they were exacting and fair

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:09am
post #4 of 73

i still have 2 hours before it starts icon_sad.gif but it sounds as though it's going to be good!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:14am
post #5 of 73

I loved it!

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:15am
post #6 of 73

oooops icon_redface.gif

I'm sorry I gave away the winner. It never occured to me about different time zones.

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:16am
post #7 of 73

I liked it for what it was. I too thought that they should have followed Ruth more. She did and does amazing work!! Wish I could get a class from her! I need to find an ICES rep here in Kansas so that I can try to join up and find out when they are having all of these classes around me!

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:17am
post #8 of 73

I like the overall show, but I think (if there will be any more) they need to refine it a bit.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:23am
post #9 of 73

crap i don't get wetv...can you watch online?

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:28am
post #10 of 73

I thought it was great ! It is a nice change from the same challenges and competitiors we see on the Food Network. Don't get me wrong, I love those too, but this gave us an opportunity to see some new faces.

Jackie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jackie Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:03am
post #11 of 73

http://cakecentral.com/jackie/115/wetv-wedding-cake-wars

I actually like this competition show format better than any of the others. I don't enjoy all that âforcedâ drama where they add ridiculous, unrelated âsurprisesâ, that are just totally irrelevant and do not actually add anything to the show. There is enough stress and drama in making a cake in 7 hours.

I also felt like they did a really good job with the âfeaturedâ contestants, or back-stories, or whatever that is called, I really wished I could have seen everyoneâs preparations, home life, baking tips etc, even if just for like 2 minutes total per person.

I really felt like there were way too many contestants for the 1 hour. I think if they had 4 teams or less, for a 1 hour show they could have given everyone more airtime.

My mom, and a few friends were like where did that Africa cake come from, and Cleveland? They got such little air time, by the time the show ended they had actually forgot they even existed!
If I hadnât been there for the live taping I would probably feel the same way.

I also felt that there werenât nearly enough shots, or photos of the finished cakes. The one thing I actually like on Food Network challenges is they give a good shot of every finished cake, with close-ups.

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:23am
post #12 of 73

I agree with that, Jackie. I thought that they could have just a few people instead of the 12. When it startd I did think that it was only about the 3 contestants, but then got thrown off when I found out it was 12. Hopefully that is something for them to try out next time! Those were some amazing looking cakes, though!

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:04am
post #13 of 73

I thought that having many contestants (as opposed to just 3 or 4) was kind of refreshing because you got to see more cakes that way but it is true that with so many, you didn't get to see as much of each contestant's work.

I also like how real all the contestants were and how real the contest seemed, not that forced reality show format with too much drama and mean comments. I was also SO happy to see new faces too. I was beginning to think there were only 5 or 10 decorators brave enough to take on cake challenges because it seems we keep seeing the same ones over and over on the other shows.

Congratulations to all the contestants! You are a brave bunch to take on a challenge like that and come up with some really gorgeous cakes.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:56am
post #14 of 73

I agree there were some cakes mentioned that I didn't think I ever saw. Africa was really amazing. I do think the best actually won. I too wish they had less teams so we can actually see more of what they are doing and the cakes. I totally did not get the big vegas one........did anyone understand that one?

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:02am
post #15 of 73

I love the whole format of the show. I did love some of the cakes that didn't make it to the top 3--that I wondered why.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:39am
post #16 of 73

Well, I love it. I love the fact that there were decorators of all levels competing. It gives hope to those of us who don't yet make over the top cakes that spin & shoot fireworks. I thought it was AMAZING that the girl who did Russia has only been decorating for 2 yrs---& what a Great attitude she had. Gotta say I think her work was cleaner than "Sugar Daddy's". For a pro he had some problems w/ clean fondant.

I too was wondering about Africa. I really thought the ones that got air time would have been the ones in the top 3. I was surprised when it came down to the competition & there were more than 4. I think it could have easily been a 2 hr show w/ so many competitors.

Will this be a reoccuring show? Will they have more "show" competitions? I love watching any cake show I can. I must say I did enjoy this format better than Ultimate Cake Off---maybe it's the editing, but it seemed to flow better.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:55am
post #17 of 73

Its nice to see someone on the show that you can actually relate too. I love any cake show, I think I may be in need of a ten step program soon lol.........I am on here all the time my grandson said hahaha

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 7:01am
post #18 of 73

I liked it, it was so refreshing to see something different, (judges with a wonderful attitude, new contestant of different levels, and the fact that even RBI was able to approach the contestants and encourage them was amazing but I also would like to see more "how to", tips and full detailed shots of the finished cakes.

Jeff_Arnett Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 11:23am
post #19 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannie

SPOILER ALERT (SORRY)

I enjoyed they way they followed some of the designers.

I just with they had followed Ruth Rickey (the amazing winner) cause I took a class from her at ICES and she is both talented and a real sweetheart

I also like the judges. They were less snarky than judges on some shows and yet they were exacting and fair

I agree...there's one judges that seems to be on every challenge that never has a good word for anyone!

Jeff_Arnett Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 11:24am
post #20 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

I liked it, it was so refreshing to see something different, (judges with a wonderful attitude, new contestant of different levels, and the fact that even RBI was able to approach the contestants and encourage them was amazing but I also would like to see more "how to", tips and full detailed shots of the finished cakes.

Speaking on RBI...did you know he is on facebook with lots of photos and information...

www.facebook.com/RBICakes

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 12:20pm
post #21 of 73

I DVR'd it and am watching it now......so far I like it.

One observation......
I don't know how that one lady gets anything done with one kid hanging on her leg and the other in the playpen. Just how many hours a day do you think that poor little guy spends in that playpen anyway?

Back to watching.

Deb_ Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 12:34pm
post #22 of 73

OK Observation #2.....

Those decorating tables seem so low compared to a normal counter height.....their poor backs must have been aching at the end of the 7 hrs.

Also......what is with the sloppy fondant? I'm with Jay on that one.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 12:53pm
post #23 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

One observation......
I don't know how that one lady gets anything done with one kid hanging on her leg and the other in the playpen.

As a mom, and a contestant, who has 3 kids (5, 4, and 21 months), you learn to do what you can in short bursts. I am sure she had to leave the baby in there while they were filming her and then she would take breaks. I know how hard it is to get work done with a young one around. Although mine isn't in a playpen anymore now. But you learn when the child REALLY needs you or is just a little miffed.

I thought the show featured the three fabulously. I was disappointed that they barely showed anybody else. And considering that WeTV didn't pay anyone to be a contestant, that is a lot of money that came out of pocket for less than a minute on tv.

Ruth's cake was fabulous for sure!

all4cake Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:43pm
post #24 of 73

Too cool saberger! What location was your's?

I was thinking Carolina was/is a member here too (I'm sure more than that)...

saberger Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:45pm
post #25 of 73

Thailand - it was a fun experience, but there are disappointments about the show.

Deb_ Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:48pm
post #26 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

One observation......
I don't know how that one lady gets anything done with one kid hanging on her leg and the other in the playpen.

As a mom, and a contestant, who has 3 kids (5, 4, and 21 months), you learn to do what you can in short bursts. I am sure she had to leave the baby in there while they were filming her and then she would take breaks. I know how hard it is to get work done with a young one around. Although mine isn't in a playpen anymore now. But you learn when the child REALLY needs you or is just a little miffed.!

I give kudos to anyone who can operate a business from home with little ones underfoot. It's definitely not an easy undertaking.

Mine are 19 and 21 yrs old and I literally have to lock them out of my downstairs business kitchen......sometimes I wish I could put them in their playpens again! icon_biggrin.gif

saberger Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:49pm
post #27 of 73

todolomio is Carolina

all4cake Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:51pm
post #28 of 73

I was loving the EIs! That print that ya'll were putting around one of the tiers was gorgeous!

saberger Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:57pm
post #29 of 73

Thanks all4cake. I had fun "cheating". icon_wink.gif

all4cake Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:57pm
post #30 of 73

I'm curious...how did you find out about the competition and how did you get chosen?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%