Painting Fondant Gold?

Decorating By mommabuda Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 7:32am by CakeDiosa

mommabuda Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:03am
post #1 of 4

Would it be best to paint over white fondant or dark chocolate fondant? I'm thinking the chocolate but not so sure... I'll be using luster dust and vanilla to do this... TIA!

3 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:08am
post #2 of 4

It depends on the dust. If you're using Wilton, you're not going to get gold from either white or'd do better to use dark ivory fondant, or yellow, depending on the shade of gold you want.

emiyeric Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:15am
post #3 of 4

Ditto on what Texas_Rose said about the brand, but if you're using another luster dust (other than Wilton!), you can get pretty good coverage, depending on what shade of gold you want and how much dust you put in your liquid. Take a look at the very last cake I made, a purse cake. All the silver rings ("holding" the straps n place, for example) are white with silver painted on. All the little studs (the little balls all over the straps) and the zipper, as well as the chain holding the Coach tags in place, were all chocolate fondant painted with silver. Take a look at what I mean by intensity, and decide for yourself. HTH!

CakeDiosa Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 7:32am
post #4 of 4

and you may want to use lemon extract or vodka over the vanilla since they have a higher alcohol content and evaporate faster.

good luck!

Oh, and I've done gold over white and yellow and didn't notice much of difference between the two. Not sure how chocolate would look....

Quote by @%username% on %date%