Antonia74 Royal Icing I Have A Few Questions

Baking By mishlove Updated 23 Sep 2009 , 4:25pm by shiney

mishlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mishlove Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 10

Do I really need to put cream of tarter in it? what does it do?

How much extract for flavoring should I put in a batch?

Thank you

Mish

9 replies
dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 10

I would suggest sticking to the recipe. Not sure what the COT does, but I would think it helps whip up the meringue powder. I know in regular meringue it helps whip up & stabilize the meringue. As for flavoring, it depends on the flavoring. I use Almond & use 1 tsp per batch--it's a stronger flavor & I would suggest 1 1/2 tsp - 2tsp of more mellow flavorings.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 10

I always add the cream of tartar, I dont know the science behind it and I'd rather follow a successful recipe. I add 1 pure vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp pure almond extract and 1/2 tsp butter flavoring per batch.
A few times I have used 2tsp of princess bouquet and it was well liked by all.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 10

I agree. I always like to stick with a successful recipe to the letter. However, Wilton's recipe does not have COT in it and the results are fine so if you omit the COT from Antonia's, it shouldn't affect it too much. Why not try halving the recipe and trying it out?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 10

I add cotton candy flavoring and it is really yummy!

luv2bake6 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 10

cotton candy sounds amazing! Where do you get it?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 10

There is a seller on Ebay called something candy lodge and she sells 4 oz bottles of it for about $11.00 but a little goes along way.It is Lorann...Love it!!!

luv2bake6 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:36pm
post #8 of 10

awesome! thanks

sarah0418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah0418 Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:30pm
post #9 of 10

I was told ( I don't remember where) that the COT helps with the drying/crusting of the icing....not sure though. I follow the recipe all the time and have great results.
For flavoring, I usually use 3/4tsp of vanilla and 3/4 tsp of butter flavoring and it tastes awesome!
TracyLH just turned me on to a site called spices, ect. They sell all kinds of all natural flavorings and I just ordered maple, brown sugar, hazelnut and pumpkin....I can't wait to try those!

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 4:25pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks Kiddiekakes....Since the first time I saw you mention cotton candy flavoring, I've been looking for it at stores, but didn't think of ebay. THANKS!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%