Decorating By Rylan Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 7:06pm by mazz

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:53pm
post #31 of 62

Great pictures people are posting!

Lambshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lambshack Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 1:56pm
post #32 of 62

Wow! Do you think there will be a lot of vendors on the upcoming Cake Cruise? I'd love to be able to come away with some cool new products, and of course the freebies and giveaways aren't bad either!
icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:05pm
post #33 of 62

I would love to see some vendors or new stuff available to purchase... icon_smile.gif

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:27pm
post #34 of 62

great pics Mencked!!

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:33pm
post #35 of 62

Ok...I'm new to these concepts.....around what does Cake Camp cost? And do you stay there the whole weekend? Or is it an all day Saturday thing? Does the city change every year, or is this particular camp held in Vegas every year?

TIA

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 3:47pm
post #36 of 62

Great pics yourself bakerychic icon_smile.gif! Wasn't it fun?! Cake camp classes started on Friday and ran through Sunday. I arrived on Thurs.---we could check in then, check out the vendor room, etc.... My class prices ranged from about $40 to $90. I would have loved to have taken other classes but some classes required us to bring lots of supplies and since I flew in from OK, I was a little limited on space.... maybe I'll drive next time icon_smile.gif?

blessedist Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:26pm
post #37 of 62

OK, SO.....THE CAMP IS HELD IN A HOTEL CONFERENCE ROOM I'M ASSUMING RIGHT? AND SO EVERYONE IS STAYING IN THAT HOTEL, AND ANY CLASS YOU WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND YOU PAY FOR? WELL, WHAT IF A PERSON JUST WANTED TO SHOP (WHICH WHO WOULD WHEN YOU COULD GET LESSONS?) THEN YOU JUST PAY FOR YOUR ROOM AND GO DOWNSTAIRS TO MINGLE?

I'M HAVING A SUPER DUH MOMENT icon_redface.gif

Mencked Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 4:38pm
post #38 of 62

Yes, the camp was held at the Riviera in Las Vegas. I think you can buy passes to just get into the vendor rooms. There is a website for it, just search cake camp. http://www.cakecamp.com/

blessedist Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:23pm
post #39 of 62

THANKS!!

tmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmcakes Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:38pm
post #40 of 62

I too attended Cake Camp for the first time and was amazed at how nice it was. My confindence just received a serious boost. Can't wait to attend ICES. I could only imagaine what I could learn there!

My only problem was trying to explain to my husband why I left home with one suitcase........came home with three... which by the way are still packed!!! icon_surprised.gif I guess I will have to give in and let him buy that new surround sound system!

As for that super hot guy!!!! I vote him to be on the cover of the next American Cake magazine!!!! I myself stayed clear of his table before three bags turned into four!!!! lol

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 6:30pm
post #41 of 62

Great pictures everyone!

As for the vendors area, you don't need to get a pass. The only time you would pay is for a registration fee and for classes but if you are just going to the vendors area, then you can just step in.

As for the hotels, you would have to pay a fee if you are not staying at the Riviera. If you live locally then you don't need to pay a fee.

Rylan Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 6:44pm
post #42 of 62

Tmcakes, were all the flowers colored? When I opened mines, I got all white and the sample was green (which is great so I can dust it with whatever I want). I saw some other ones (samples) I wanted but it has colors I didn't like, was it plain inside?

tracienvegas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracienvegas Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:03pm
post #43 of 62

OK Rylan, we must have been there at the same time because I see myself in one of your pictures.....lol

Rylan Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:12pm
post #44 of 62

You are not kidding? Which picture??

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:44pm
post #45 of 62

Hello Everyone, just got home from cake camp last night. It was exhausting, but so fun! Got to meet Rylan right away in the vendor room. I say go ahead, post your picture, you're adorable! And I got to sit at a table of cc members for the banquet! And yes, everyone was so friendly and helpful, all that cake must make us all sweeter icon_smile.gif I had 2 classes with Becky Rink and Anna Wiesend, 3 Norm and Zane and 1 Roland Winbeckler. And for those of you planning ahead, there will be no cake camp next year because of ices, so you have time to save up. I know my family vacation next year will be in San Diego for ices.

Rylan Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 7:52pm
post #46 of 62

It was nice meeting you Paulstonia. It was actually by accident.

I'm pretty sure you never expected I would be Rylan, hehe.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 10:02pm
post #47 of 62

Ices in San Diego next year??!! I'm in!! icon_smile.gif

paulstonia Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 11:17pm
post #48 of 62

Oh man, I just listen to my answering machine and I'm so pissed. I was picked to do the challenge at cake camp. They called my house because that was the only number they had and no one let me know! I can't believe I got picked and then not to get to do it! Arg!!! They were supposed to announce the names they drew at the meet and greet. I was there for that, don't know what happened with that. I wonder why they didn't just get a message to my first class. Man, when will I ever get a chance like that again! Now I'm really bummed icon_sad.gif

Mencked Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 1:30pm
post #49 of 62

OH paulstonia--dang it!!!! What a bummer to have missed out on the challenge!! I had signed up to sit at the CC table on the meesage board, but then ran into my friend Kathy and ended up not going to the banquet....sorry to have missed meeting you guys! Oh, and paulstonia, you didn't happen to be in the Becky Rink class that 2 people came into by mistake were you? The first one on Friday? Because if you were, I was one of the ones in the wrong class---DUH icon_smile.gif!!! I would have loved to have stayed though...it looked like fun!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 2:06pm
post #50 of 62

Rylan - you didn't dip into the jar for ICES next year did you??? You need to post your pic....... icon_biggrin.gif

tmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmcakes Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:29pm
post #51 of 62

paulstonia which one of Becky Rink and Roland classes did you take I took the Writting made easy and buttercream flowers with Roland and I took the carving class with Becky Rink where we carved the fish. So much fun!!

By the way which table was the CC table myself and another lady tried to find the table but could not!

brittalicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brittalicious Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:40pm
post #52 of 62

when and where is the next camp? icon_biggrin.gif

Mencked Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:48pm
post #53 of 62

Next cake camp is 2011, place to be determined. I heard a couple of the California Cake Club members asking others where would be a good place to have it.... Las Vegas was perfect IMHO!

Rylan Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:54pm
post #54 of 62

Loucinda, nope, I did not touch my jar for ICES. I realized I would have to save a lot. ICES fees, plane, dog boarding, food, hotel and of course my budget for classes and vendors area.

I'm curious to know, how long do you usually stay for the ICES convention. I mean, is it really a 5 day event or just 4?

Brittalicious, not sure when the next will be. All I know is that it will be in 2011.

brittalicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brittalicious Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:57pm
post #55 of 62

thanks for letting me know! to bad 2011 is so far away lol! oh they should have one in Canada ahaha that would be neat

paulstonia Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 8:58pm
post #56 of 62

Menked, I was in Becky's design class of Fri., it was in the afternoon. And Tmcakes I was in the writing made easy class. I was sitting in the back. And I know what you mean about finding the cc table at the banquet. The plan was to meet outside by the elevator but there was no one waiting there. I should have made a sign to hold or put on the table. I saw bisbqueenb's pin when she came out of the banquet room and she showed me to the table. We were to the right when you came in the door, we were at the table that had just a small single tier cake with pink ribbon roses. It was funny because there were people that signed up to sit and didn't show up but the two that sat there instead were on cc too. They both had recently found it. Oh, and Becky Rink is on here too, she said not to often though.

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 23 Sep 2009 , 9:21pm
post #57 of 62

thanks rylan

Loucinda Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 1:58am
post #58 of 62

Rylan - we actually stayed 4 nights and 5 days. We had 4 in our room, so the cost was split 4 ways. The hands on classes are all going to be $75. each - so how ever many of those you are going to take (I personally took as many as I had time for) The demos are $7. each - you are allowed 8 and I think 3 stand bys. Then food - we took stuff to keep in the room - and thank god we did, we hardly had time to eat. I lived on granola bars and crackers about the whole time! Vendors room - OH MY! There is where the cash goes. There is a list of the vendors posted months before the convention, so you kind of know what you may want to look at. I spent a LOT of money there, but do not regret ANY of the purchases made! icon_biggrin.gif So - just keep stuffing that jar!! (totals for me were $175 room, $450. registration (classes & demos included) and around $1100. in the vendors room.

Rylan Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 2:30am
post #59 of 62

Loucinda, THANKS A LOT for the info. Do you have to pay a fee if you don't stay in the hotel/resort that hosts the convention?

Wow, you spent a lot! I was hoping to save atleast $1000 for the vendors area since we really don't have that much supplies in here and shipping is so expensive when buying online.

Also, I wanted to bring a cake to the Cake Shack. Will they allow my fiance to be with me even if he isn't a member?

Oh and one more thing. Do I have to pay a fee everytime I go in the convension or does the registration cover that?

Loucinda Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 12:41pm
post #60 of 62

IF you want access to all the convention has, yes, you will have to pay the fee (which includes the banquet, a breakfast, and free access to the vendors room and cake shack) Your fiance would have to pay it also if he wants to attend all of the functions. It is alot cheaper if you are an ICES member. (this year it was $190 for members, and I think $350 for non?) The registration fee also allows you all access to the vendors room and cake shack (if you DON"T pay the registration, it is $50. per day for the vendors room and $10. for the cake shack - per person)

You can stay at any hotel you want to. I personally preferred staying at the host hotel - everything is right there. We never left the premises! I know that there are a lot who do stay elsewhere, but for me, I really liked being right where everything was. It was really cool (for me anyways) running into all the famous cake folks! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%