Halloween Treat Look-A-Likes

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 11:35pm by sweetcravings

cakesrock Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 4

I am planning on making a Halloween cake for my childrens' daycare and would like to include some treat look-a-likes (lollipops, pkgs of smarties, licorice). Could someone suggest the best material to use - MMF? Marzipan? gum paste? I've never worked with gum paste or marzipan? I would prefer it actually taste good, but looks are most important! They'll still have the cake part to eat. And how do I make the cellophane (did I even spell that right?)wrap on the treats? and the lollipops look like lollipops? I would appreciate any suggestions! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
mbelgard Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 4

The easiest way to make a look alike would be to find a candy mold you like and make the cake to look like it. The kids aren't going to want to eat gumpaste anyway.

If you used candy melts it's easier to work with than chocolate and kids don't care that it isn't real.

For the wrap for the candy you can either order or buy it at a cake supply store. You can get different sized bags to fit your treats.

MBoyd Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 11:15pm
post #3 of 4

I make "look alike" lollipops by taking 2 logs of different colored fondant, sticking them together, rolling out a loooooong rope twisting it a little as I go, and then coiling it up in a circle to look like and old fashioned lollipop.

If you really want it to taste good, I'd do it with modeling chocolate instead.

Cellophane would be hard to re-create in sugar... but you could make look alikes of those orange and black peanut butter taffy candies.....fondant or modeling choc. again....

sweetcravings Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 4

I would suggest you not use marzipan..nut allergies are so common these days. I would use a fondant/gumpaste mix. That way you have enough time to play with the shape, and it will hold it's shape after it dries some. If it were me i'd probably just buy the real candy and add that to the cake. ;0) The kids won't care or appreciate all the work that goes into making gumpaste candy...plus they will enjoy eating the real thing over fondant. JMHO. I learned that through experience.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%