What Do You Call?

Decorating By suchalaydee1 Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 2:41am by suchalaydee1

suchalaydee1 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 7:57pm
post #1 of 5

I have seen several photos here with stars,balloons, flowers etc. They were made out of gumpaste or fondant. They also where attached to a piece of wire so that they can be stuck into the cake..Could someone tell me what the name of the wire is or what do you call it, so I will can look for it in Michaels or A.C. Moore by the proper name instead of trying to explain it.

Thanks A Bunch

4 replies
Deb_ Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 5

Floral wire maybe?

GeorgiaGingerbread Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 5

It's floral wire, sometimes wrapped with floral tape. The gauge of wire you will need generally depends on the heaviness of the item on the end of it. For example, different flowers and leaves need different gauge wires.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:23am
post #4 of 5

But don't wrap it in floral tape (or any kind of tape) before you stick it into a cake. The tape is not food safe.

Some have said they use the coffee stir sticks (with the 2 or 3 skinny slots in them) ... or ... a regular straw (which makes it easier to add many wires in the same spot ... or ... you can bend the wire as you need it, then dip it into melted chocolate, let it dry, and then push into the cake.

Either way, you need to make the wire food safe.

suchalaydee1 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:41am
post #5 of 5

Thank you all so much...

Quote by @%username% on %date%