Indydebi's Cake Comb

Decorating By Lcubed82 Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 2:30am by Writecakes

Lcubed82 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 14

Are these still available? I know you have a story about the "afro comb" on the cake table- would an new never-used-before afro comb work (if they can still be found)?

Without this, would you just use a spatula?

13 replies
Doug Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 14
indydebi Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 14

I was in a panic for my 9-12 wedding, which was a freebie for a friend. I couldn't find my comb! aauuuggghhhh! I had to cut the cake without a comb! Came straight home nad ordered one from ebay for ten bucks. Found the comb 2 hours after ordering the ebay one. Oh well I have a back up!

Lcubed82 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:50am
post #5 of 14

I served up a cake using your cutting guide tonight. I love how easy it is to cut the strips, then cut them. Only problem, I started right to left, instead of left to right! I had my arms crossing over and my hands were a mess. Partway thru, I realized that if I cut Left to Right, everything worked great to just nudge the piece onto the server, then onto the plate, no fingers needed!!!

I am going to order one of those combs. Thanks Debi!

indydebi Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:52am
post #6 of 14

cylstrial Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 12:38pm
post #7 of 14

I have never seen one of those before. Interesting!

nesweetcake Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:17pm
post #8 of 14

I use these all the time to cut cake, I even send three of them with every wedding cake for them to use to cut the cake. Less mess, saves on servings and helps plop that cake slice right on the plate. I don't ever cut a cake with out mine. Big events that order several sheet cakes, I even send along. Everyone is amazed after they have used them. My local cake shop carries them in stock for about the $5-6 price range.

grandmom Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:46pm
post #9 of 14

The things we learn on this forum! I saw the cakecomb on Indy's website a while back, and went on a mission to have one. Bought a beautiful vintage model on ebay. I love that thing!

Writecakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:10pm
post #10 of 14

Okay, what is this? How does it work? Someone please clue me in icon_smile.gif

grandmom Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:45pm
post #11 of 14

The tool was orignally invented for cutting cakes that would otherwise be squished by cutting with a knife, for example, a sponge cake.

To see how it is used as a serving tool, scooch up the page to Indydebi's post, and click on the first link under her signature. Once taken to her website, on the left, click on How to Cut the Cake.

It makes serving any cake so much easier and neater, not just wedding cakes.

Writecakes Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 3:47pm
post #12 of 14

Wow! Thank you so much! That is really neat! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

grannys3angels Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:03pm
post #13 of 14

I also use her cutting guide and I LOVE LOVE it!

Thanks Deb for sharing that information, I just love how much easlier it is and it does make a very nice slice of cake thumbs_up.gif

God Bless,

Writecakes Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 2:30am
post #14 of 14

I love the cutting guide! Debi - you rock! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%