Putting A Bunch Of Wired Roses As A Topper

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 4:59pm by sandy

MissCakeCrazy Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 4

I have now made 5 roses made with half gumpaste half fondant and taped them all together with florists tape. The stems at the bottom are not all even as I have not decided what to do with it. I am confused about how to place it on the top tier of a cake. I am thinking of cutting the stem short and sticking it in a ball of fondant (I don't have an oasis). I also think the stem looks a bit too thick to fit through a posy pick as I have bunched them all together so there is no option of sticking it in the cake. I am worried that the ball of fondant would show underneath as the roses are mainly sticking upwards. Another idea is to simply wrap the stem in a ribbon and make it look like a bouquet of roses placed on the cake. I prefer the ball of fondant idea but I need to make sure that it will take the weight of the roses (I used a 90mm cutter). Anyone any ideas and tips?

3 replies
deetmar Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 4

I have made numerous rose toppers. I take a styrofoam ball, cut it in 1/2, cover with fondant, and start sticking the wires in it. It is easier to start at the top and work down. A trick I learned making the roses, is make your cone, then take a lighter and make the end of the wire red hot, then stick it in the rose cone. This will melt the sugar around the wire so it will be secure.

chanda Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:49pm
post #3 of 4

DOn't forget to put a support dowel under the styrofoam ball like I did a couple weeks ago...icon_smile.gif

sandy Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 4

I taped all the wired flowers together with floral tape and then cut the taped wires to about 2 1/2". (It looked like a small bridal bouquet.) I cut an SPS pillar to the height of my cake,inserted it in in the center of the top tier, piped in a bit of royal icing and stuck the wires in it. It was very stable and could easily be pulled out to serve the cake. I think you could use any hollow tube type thing, I just happened to have some cut off SPS laying around.

Quote by @%username% on %date%