What Am I Doing Wrong?????

Baking By moringgal Updated 25 Sep 2009 , 2:33pm by moringgal

moringgal Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 14

It seems I can't get cookies to not break. This is becoming a huge problem. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I've tried numerous recipes and they all break so I know it's not the recipe. It has to be the baker. LOL Am I not baking long enough? Baking too long? Not mixing correctly? What? HELP!!!!!

13 replies
DsLady614 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 14

How are they breaking? When? No cookie is infallible, it's just the nature of the beast. But maybe if you know the circumstances we can understand more what's happening.

moringgal Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 14

They break when you pick them up after being cooled. I hardly ever have any to decorate because of breakage. Am I making them too thin? Not thin enough?

jillmakescakes Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 14

have you checked the dates on your ingredients? some ingredients, such as baking soda or baking powder can get old and ineffective. Try replacing some of these items and see if it helps.

indydebi Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 14

How thick are they? Are you cooling them on the baking sheet or on a cooling rack? Are you using NFSC or a different recipe?

moringgal Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 14

Dates are still good even though pkgs. have been opened for a short while. I've used at least 1/2 dozen different recipes. Chilled dough, didn't chill dough. Rolled thick, thin and everywhere inbetween. I have a batch of NFSC in the oven now rolled at 3/8" thick. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Thanks for all the help.

indydebi Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 8:34pm
post #7 of 14

3/8" is about how thick I roll mine. I bake on parchment paper covered baking sheets and let the cookie cool on the parchment. The reason I ask about cooling rakcs is that if cookies are cooling on the "housewife" racks (the wires run vertical with one horizonal wire to hold them all together, with a space of about 1/2" between wires) then the hot cookie tends to fall thru the wires, which weakens the structure of the cookie. If they cool on a solid surface, it helps.

Can't wait to hear how these turn out! thumbs_up.gif

moringgal Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 8:37pm
post #8 of 14

Dates are still good even though pkgs. have been opened for a short while. I've used at least 1/2 dozen different recipes. Chilled dough, didn't chill dough. Rolled thick, thin and everywhere inbetween. I have a batch of NFSC in the oven now rolled at 3/8" thick. I'll let you know how they turn out.

Thanks for all the help.

luv2bake6 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 5:21pm
post #9 of 14

My initial thought was that your cookies were too thin. Let us know how the batch you're working on now goes.

mashmellow Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 8:38pm
post #10 of 14

that used to hapend to me too, then I learned I was cooking them longer , all I did was take'em 5 min sooner and that was it

moringgal Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 10:35pm
post #11 of 14

This batch turned out much better. I did have one to break but that's a whole lot better than before. The next batch I'll try cutting back on the baking time.

Thanks everyone for your helpfulness.

TracyLH Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 1:06pm
post #12 of 14

Glad it worked better. Make sure you don't over cream your sugar. That can cause your cookies to spread and not end up being as thick (i.e. - strong).

shiney Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:24pm
post #13 of 14

Overcream the sugar? I hadn't heard that before. I get more spreading than I would like, and I leave them in the fridge close to 30 minutes before baking. I will usually go mix my dry ingred while the sugar, shortning, eggs, etc, is mixing. I'll have to change my ways.
Thanks Tracy!! (yet again)

moringgal Posted 25 Sep 2009 , 2:33pm
post #14 of 14

Hmmmm.....I've been doing like "Shiny". Guess I should try combining my dry ingredients BEFORE I start mixing the wet ingredients. I'll try this this weekend and see if that helps. Thanks so much Tracy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%