Grapes & Ivy Wedding Cake Troubles

Decorating By cathyscakes Updated 20 Sep 2009 , 7:43pm by cathyscakes

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 3

The wedding cake I just delivered yesterday caused me nothing but trouble when I tried to frost it. I used sugarshacks buttercream recipe and for some reason it had tons of air in it. I did something wrong. I worked and worked to get it smooth. I was so tempted to scrape everything off and start all over, I was so upset. I was thinking why do I do cakes, its too stressful. I started the decorations and low and behold, most of the imperfections went away. I think the eye goes to the decorations and your not looking at a blank canvas, where everything shows. In the end I was happy with the cake, I never thought it would turn out, ready to quit, now I can't wait for the next one. If you want to peek its the grapes and ivy cake in my photos, it was inspired by buddy's cake from cake boss. thanks

2 replies
d3sc3n7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d3sc3n7 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 3

Just looked at your cake, and it looks great.

Since you said you had imperfections, of course thats where my eye went first. Yes, as a fellow "caker" I see them. However, as the recipient of the cake...I bet they never noticed.

Its a beautiful cake, and its easy to see how much painstaking work went into the decorations.

Very well done

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 3

Your right they never noticed, I sure did, I was stressing so hard on this one. It was for a big wedding, all my friends and family were there, wanted it to look perfect. I had such trouble with the buttercream, still in search of the perfect one, but everyone liked it, and like I said, with all of the decorations, people didn't notice. I would absolutely hate to do a cake that is all white buttercream, minimal, couldn't do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%