Piping Gel Question

Decorating By ErinEH Updated 20 Sep 2009 , 5:10pm by LaBellaFlor

ErinEH Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 4:29pm
post #1 of 8

I am trying to make an abstract night cake with dark blue fondant, dragees, and was thinking for a 3-D element I could make luna moths. I was hoping to mix the pearl dust into piping gel to make transparent iridescent wings and a royal icing body. However, I've never really used piping gel, and was wondering if it ever dries, how long it takes to dry, and how it looks when there are dried pieces, or this is even possible. Thanks!

7 replies
LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 8

piping gel never dries

ddaigle Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 8

I think mixing pearl dust into piping gel is going to make it cloudy instead of transparent/irridesent. Try outlining your butterfly wing and making all of the wing details in buttercream using like a #3 tip, let it crust/dry. Then go back and fill in the wing with piping gel. Put in a bag and use a smaller tip to control the amount that comes out...sorta liike flooding a cookie. I did a tiger's eye this way and it was creepy glassy looking. I tinted the piping gel orange too. Don't know if you will get the result you are looking for, but it is worth a try on wax paper or wherever you want to do a test run.

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

I think mixing pearl dust into piping gel is going to make it cloudy instead of transparent/irridesent. Try outlining your butterfly wing and making all of the wing details in buttercream using like a #3 tip, let it crust/dry. Then go back and fill in the wing with piping gel. Put in a bag and use a smaller tip to control the amount that comes out...sorta liike flooding a cookie. I did a tiger's eye this way and it was creepy glassy looking. I tinted the piping gel orange too. Don't know if you will get the result you are looking for, but it is worth a try on wax paper or wherever you want to do a test run.

So your piping gel dried solid? What kind did you use, cause I've never seen it dry solid before, fimer, yes, but not solid.

ddaigle Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 4:56pm
post #5 of 8

Sorry.....piping gel never dries. Sorry for not clarifying.

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 8

I didn't think so, but if you knew of a special kind, I sure wanted it! icon_biggrin.gif

Bonnell Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 5:06pm
post #7 of 8

The way to go is to use gelatin to make your wings. It is a perfect medium for this and you can add disco dust while it is wet and it will shimmer nicely. It's 1 Tablespoon unflavored gelatin to 2 1/2 T water. Sprinkle the gelatin powder into lukewarm or cool water and let it sit for a minute then stir. Let that sit about 10-15 minutes and skim the "scum" or foam off the top, heat in the microwave for about 10-15 seconds then stir. You can brush it onto thick, flexible plastic or heavy vinyl. At this point sprinkle your disco dust onto it and let dry for a few hours. After it is dry you can cut it into the shape your need and pipe your body between the wings. Hope that's not too confusing. HTH

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 5:10pm
post #8 of 8

Bonnell has it down. People use gelatin to make wings. You can then cut them out, which is hard, but beautiful or you can cheat. You take very thin wire, shape it like a wing and fill with the gelatin. It frames it. Easier, but not as impressive when you do it the way Bonnell described.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%