Mmf Never Dried Hard..

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 20 Sep 2009 , 8:25pm by poohsmomma

mindy1204 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 4

I used a ball mold to make some sports balls. I used MMF fondant that I had made. I made them 2 weeks ago and have left them in the molds to dry. They never dried hard. I also used Wilton fondant to make one of them and it did dry hard. What do you think could be wrong with my fondant to cause it not to dry hard?

3 replies
d3sc3n7 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 4

I'm not an expert by any means...but I've made my share of MMF. The only thing I can think of is your PS content was a bit low...leaving plenty of moisture left in the marshmallows, you could have also added a touch to much water.

Marshmallows, melted or not retain alot of moisture. So if you didnt dry them out enough with the PS then that may be the problem.

backermeister Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 4

If you are trying to mold or model with fondant than your best bet is mixing a 50/50 gumpaste and fondant so that you do get a firm molding. Fondant does dry a become a little firmer alone but it is not meant to hold a ball shape on its own. Also mixing mmf and satin ice and adding tylose could work if you want to stay with all fondant. You could also try using pastillage which dries and holds shapes very well.hth icon_smile.gif

poohsmomma Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 4

I'm not exactly sure what you are doing, but is air able to get to the mmf to help it dry? You say you left them in the molds to dry-are the molds airtight?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%