Food Safety Question

Decorating By SliceCakeStudio Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 11:25pm by SliceCakeStudio

SliceCakeStudio Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 10

I'm going through every resource I can find on Swiss Meringue buttercream being "shelf stable" i.e. able to sit out on a table for a few hours.

I picked up a book where someone said the only buttercream to use in 3D cakes is swiss meringue, but I don't know if the pasturization process of the egg/sugar mixture is truly taking the meringue to a safe enough place that it can sit on a reception table for a few hours.

Thoughts???

9 replies
Mike1394 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 10

A few hrs sure it'll be fine. Are you using pasteurized eggs in the first place?

Mike

MikeRowesHunny Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 10

I use SMBC a lot as a filling in cakes (no-one has buttercream wedding cakes here). My cake decorating process means that my cakes sit at room temp for a few days & I've never had a problem with it (and I don't use pasteurised eggs either).

-K8memphis Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 10

I make my meringue over hot water for my smbc. Some people (amazingly to me) put their eggs & sugar in the pan that touches the hot water.

All that to say if you get a good seal on your double boiler or if you are in the camp that lets the bottom of the egg pot touch you can get the eggs to 160 degrees no problemo--160 degrees being the magic number to safeguard your buttercream.

I have the instant read thermometers and you just take it's little temp and it feels real good to know your product is safe.

Margaret Braun says it can stay at room temp for several days.

__Jamie__ Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 4:12pm
post #5 of 10

Yep to all. Love that SMBC. You don't think the clock starts ticking from the moment you deliver it do you? I mean, if a few hours sitting on a table at a reception bothered you, what about the time from when you turned the mixer off until you were done decorating? Wasn't that a couple of hours too?

-K8memphis Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 10

As far as I know, properly made it is not a hazardous food.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 10

I'm in the camp that lets a bit of the bowl sit in the simmering water, and I add my sugar in 3 stages, letting each dissolve before adding the next. This ensures that the eggs reach a high temperature and are held there long enough to kill the nasties that may be there (it probably takes a good 5 minutes to dissolve all the sugar, if not more). As long as you keep stirring, it shouldn't scramble!

Mike1394 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 8:01pm
post #8 of 10

That's why I like IMBC the mixer does the stirring LOL

Mike

Deb_ Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 8:34pm
post #9 of 10

Here in MA we home bakers have to get recipe approval to be sure that all of our products are shelf stable/not perishable.

Sadly, all of the IMBC/SMBC recipes I've tried submitting have failed my HD's requirements.

They're not buying the whole "pasteurization" thing. They did tell me I could use powdered egg whites, but I've yet to find any that I like.

SliceCakeStudio Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 11:25pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks for all the info! I mixed my egg whites and sugar in a stainless bowl that sat onto of a pot of boiling water until 165. I mean... I ate it after being at room temp, and I was fine.

My little brain is playing tricks on me though... we would never eat mayonnaise after sitting out for hours, or coffee with creamer in it that set for hours.... just seems odd that with a SMBC having eggs in it, I'm worrying. Don't really want to put my product liability insurance to use! :O

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%