Help With Making Gumpaste/fondant Pistols Please

Decorating By allibok Updated 17 Mar 2011 , 2:46am by gigiel

allibok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allibok Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 17

Hi All

I've never posted before but I really need some help! I've been asked to make jumbo cupcakes with a target top (no problem) but I also need to make some fondant or gumpaste pistols to go with them. This is where I'm a bit stuck...

Does anyone have any advice for doing these and what'd be the best way to go about it?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give.

16 replies
Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 1:41pm
post #2 of 17

Edna (tonedna is her cake central id) just came out with a great dvd on making the Stargazer Lily. In it she very specifically shows how to make the pistol and it look real when you are finished. You can purchase her dvd at www.designmeacake.com, or, you can look online for a good closeup photo of a pistel and try to recreate it that way. icon_biggrin.gif

dstbni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dstbni Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 2:28pm
post #3 of 17

Did you mean pistol like the gun? I would try modeling them and then painting with silver dust mixed with vodka. 50/50 fondant and gumpaste has worked really well for me.

Teekakes Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 17

OMG! icon_redface.gif I have not had enough coffee yet this morning and have sugar flowers on the brain.........not pistols, targets n holsters!! icon_lol.gif Sorry for not catching that at first read. icon_redface.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 2:54pm
post #5 of 17

LOL!

all4cake Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 17
Teekakes Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

LOL!

I just hate those "duh" moments! icon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gif

all4cake Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 3:15pm
post #8 of 17

Had a thought (might wanna back up)...

If you were able to acquire a small pistol (maybe the toy dept.)...then, get some of that mold making stuff that Loucinda referred to in another thread from Michael's ...clay dept. and made your own mold...

Or...

roll out (or extrude) lengths of fondant/gumpaste in two different widths. attach one to the other....mark off equal sections....roll one end up... then bunch and shape it for the butt...reem out an area with a toothpick for the trigger area...pinch and shape a smidge and the top back area for the cock(?)...add details...

I think I'm going for more coffee....

http://www.chickorywoodproducts.com/guns_files/revolver.JPG

all4cake Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teekakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

LOL!

I just hate those "duh" moments! icon_lol.gificon_rolleyes.gif

I have them so often...it's refreshing to see someone else's. icon_lol.gif

Teekakes Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 3:40pm
post #10 of 17

Yeah, I agree on the mold route. She says "pistols" so I am assuming that means several of them. I agree with you on making the mold or buying one. icon_smile.gif

all4cake Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 4:27pm
post #11 of 17

looks like the pistols are blocky styled with a clip and the revolvers have tubular barrels and a 'revolving' chamber(like the wooden one in the link above)...I don't know but from doing the searches that's what's coming up in the results...I type in pistol and the blocky type comes up...type in revolver and the curvier, more ornate, tubular barrelled(?) ones come up....

http://www.gun-shots.net/m11.gif

for that blocky type(whatever), I'd roll out the fondant to even thickness...cut rectangles...then, use an X-acto knife and cut away areas until it looked right...then reem out the trigger area with a toothpick and pull a little whoop for the cock(?)...smooth out the edges with either your finger or one of them fondant tools...(I think it may a veiner...the one that looks like a thick point that's been flattened)...dang it...I'll go check for its' official name later...

allibok Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 4:33pm
post #12 of 17

Thanks so much for your replies, help and giggles! I do mean pistol as in gun - a fairly odd request, but it takes all kinds I suppose.

I've been searching for a ready made mold but haven't been too successful the only one I saw was for a revolver style. It's a candy mold but way too big for what I'm after.

I'm about to have a play with the fondant/gumpaste and see what I come up with. I need to make 8 of them, so not too many to freestyle.

Thanks again for your help.

Teekakes Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 4:36pm
post #13 of 17

Good luck and I look forward to seeing pictures of your finished cuppies and pistols...............that won't look like a flower! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

all4cake Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 4:37pm
post #14 of 17

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...I just noticed they removed a word I typed and replaced it with an asterisk...HAHAHAHAHA

I reckon it thought I was referring to something else...too too funny!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 6:17pm
post #15 of 17

The best thing to do would be to pick a gun that you want to copy and then print out a picture of it about the size that you want to make. For a cupcake topper, it doesn't have to be too detailed. You should make a Glock, it has the least details and is easy to recognize.

I've made a bigger gun from fondant before...my husband drew a life-size template of the model that we were making, and cut it out of three thicknesses of foamcore. We covered the foamcore with fondant, used fondant tools to make the details, and then painted it. It looks real enough that every now and then when we have someone over, they see it in its baggie on our bar and they think it's a real gun.

allibok Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 8:12pm
post #16 of 17

Thanks again for your help and responses. I didn't get around to playing with making them this afternoon - weather is monsoon like here so been entertaining children!

Definitely tomorrow, once they're at school.

I'll post pics towards the end of the week, pick up is Thursday. Fingers crossed!

gigiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiel Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 2:46am
post #17 of 17

is there anything that's not covered on this forum? awesome!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%