First Gumpaste Roses Critque Please

Decorating By luvbugcreations Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 6:30pm by debster

luvbugcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbugcreations Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 12:59pm
post #1 of 11

Hi
made these for a bridal showercake it was the first time ever making gumpaste roses usually I use buttercream. These look more realistic. What could I have done to make them look better I know practice makes perfect but any tips would be appreciated. I am going to try and attach them if I can.
okay anyone know how to change the size of my picture so I can post here. Thanks in advance for any help or comments. You can see them in my photos

kerri

10 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 1:16pm
post #2 of 11

my first suggestion is to try and get a better focus with your camera - its actually hard to really critique, because the details arent clear. (if you have a macro focus option, thats a good start)
however, they are good, the petals look thin and ruffled, although i think some of then could do with being a bit tighter together, or just having more petals on the rose.
very nice icon_smile.gif
xx

BabyC1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyC1985 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 1:25pm
post #3 of 11

I agree the photo is a bit out of focus, but from what i can see they look good.

luvbugcreations Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 11

I know I need to take a lesson in picture taking my pictures never come out as good as the others posted here. Anyone know if there is a place that I could learn more about picture taking. They don't do my cakes and things any justice. LOL. icon_redface.gif

Thanks Kerri

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:28pm
post #5 of 11

do you have a digital camera, is the lense clean, and usually auto flash is better, try to get a little farther away, sometimes i'll put flowers on the floor in styrophone and take the picture down, if you don't have a digital, back light is the best. just some tips i don't go anywhere without my camera

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 11

You can shrink your pictures here:
http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 11

i made alot of gumpaste amd fondant rose's and they still get better, i use the med round circle cutter and the tiny one for the tip of the cone, about 10 pedals the first row up a little from the cone, second right about the middle is there i start pressing you want your rose to start opening, and the last row pretty close to the bottom only putting the tiny bit of water closer to the bottom of the cone and petal , and it opens up good. i don't put one petal in side the other one i work on the outside and overlap about 1/2 way, you want you middle down lower, sometimes i'll feel it'd slipping up but i was using to much water and when i first started i ended up with a blob, u-tube has some good video's that's how i learned, your cakes are beautiful

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:48pm
post #8 of 11

They look soft and pretty. I'd add additional petals and for the outside layer, I'd bring it up just a bit so it does not spread out so much. Hang them upside down while they dry and they won't spread as much. I love making gumpaste roses since I learned Tonedna's (Edna's) method and I'll never go back to buttercream roses. Her tutorial on YouTube is priceless. Here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqiNRkSQLf8&feature=related[/url]

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 2:59pm
post #9 of 11

Another great tutorial: http://cakesbyfrancesca.com.au/videos/rosetutorial.wmv
To see the finished roses: http://www.flickr.com/photos/franjmc/2927935625/

Practice makes--better!!! I have learned so much, but still have lots of room for improvement. I am proud of my latest roses: 25th ann. cake in photos

luvbugcreations Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:16pm
post #10 of 11

Hi
First of all THANK YOU to everyone for all your help and suggestions pratice will make perfect. Will keep on practicing maybe my roses will look like all of the great ones here.

Thanks again
Kerri

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 6:30pm
post #11 of 11

I agree with Win...........................tonedna has the best tutorial!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%