How To Make The Stucco Rough Look On A Cake?

Decorating By debster Updated 27 Sep 2011 , 11:41pm by jhay

debster Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 12:51am
post #1 of 7

A Bride showed me a cake and it looked like a stucco brush work going vertical on the cake, do they use royal icing over buttercream to get that look? Thanks

6 replies
MnSnow Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 1:05am
post #2 of 7

When I had a wedding cake to do with that look, I used teh back of a spoon. It worked great!

dsilvest Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 1:16am
post #3 of 7

I did a fondant cake stippled with royal icing. You can use squished up wax paper or plastic wrap to apply the texture. I also watered down the royal so that it was easier to apply.

madgeowens Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 5:33am
post #4 of 7

ok years ago when people wanted that stucco look on the walls they would swirl white paint on and then take a sponge and press lightly into the paint and pull straight off leaving those stucco like peaks in the plaster or whatever, so maybe try that on the butter cream?

miny Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 5:55am
post #5 of 7

I've done that with shortening BC, when it's crusted just use a clean --moist-- sponge and run it all over the cake, this will leave the sponge texture on the cake and form some peaks too. HTH

madgeowens Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 6:07am
post #6 of 7

I would frost the cake first and then maybe thin the buttercream a bit then using a damp but not wet sponge load the sponge (enough that you can manage it) then press lightly to cake surface amd pull away...and that should leave spikey stucco

jhay Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 11:41pm
post #7 of 7


Quote by @%username% on %date%