What To Charge.........

Decorating By tannersmom Updated 21 Sep 2009 , 1:33am by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

tannersmom Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 12:34am
post #1 of 9

I made this cake for my little cousins B'day. Of course I didn't charge anything to make it. It was my first cowboy hat cake and I was excited about making it. Anyway, someone saw the cake and wants me to make one for them. The thing is, I have no idea what to charge. It was 3 8in round cake(carved) Bc and fondant. If anyone has made one before or have a suggestion on what to charge, I'd greatly appreciate it. I was thinking $75.00?????

Stephanie
Ok, image is to large to add. Please look under my photos. Thanks

8 replies
d3sc3n7 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 12:52am
post #2 of 9

Well, a general double 8in is $36, add 18 for the 3rd and your up to $54.

Now, thats $54 for a fondant covered cake, plain.

Now add in for the carving, decoration, time, extra supplies.

I say $75 should be the lowest you go.

tannersmom Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 2:21am
post #3 of 9

Thanks for the reply!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:28am
post #4 of 9

8in cake = 24 servings. $5 per serving for sculpted/carved cakes = $120.

tannersmom Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 9:50pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks! I was thinking $75.00 but I guess that's too cheap. So, do most sculpted cakes go for $5.00 a serving???

LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:23pm
post #6 of 9

Yes. But a lot of people charge by the work. It's not that easy to figure out exact servings, cause the odds are you won't get eact servings, you'll end up with more. I personally have a carved cake minimum of $150...and I'm cheap!

tannersmom Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 12:53am
post #7 of 9

LaBellaFlor your right. The thing is no one in my area does cakes like this. Some people don't even know what fondant is. I did the poker chip cake for a wedding and they didn't even cut it because they didn't think it was real???????? The bride knew exactly what she was getting. So after the wedding, she cut it just to prove it was real. LOL
I don't have alot of competition in my hometown. But will people pay that price for my cakes. I wish!

cylstrial Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:14am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tannersmom

I don't have alot of competition in my hometown. But will people pay that price for my cakes? I wish!

Well you win some and you lose some - but at least you'll be making what you want to make! There will always be another customer who won't bat an eyelash at paying your price.

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 1:33am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannersmom

I don't have alot of competition in my hometown. But will people pay that price for my cakes? I wish!

Well you win some and you lose some - but at least you'll be making what you want to make! There will always be another customer who won't bat an eyelash at paying your price.

If you price it and stick to that price, you'll sell. Don't undersell yourself or your talent. Never waiver on the price, either. Decide and stick to that, no matter how much the person tries to barter.

For pricing, what I do is figure out the cost to make the base cake plus BC, fondant, oven time (power/gas), clean-up, and whatever else I use (plus the cakeboard and box - some even charge for the time to get the baking supplies, but that's pushing the charging thing to far, IMHO). Then charge $10/hr. for the work involved. I'm just starting out, so my prices are low (because I tend to under estimate the amount of time I'll need), but will be going up once I get more practice in and get faster.

Good luck! Post a pic of your hat cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%