How Can I Make A Chocolate Cake Chocolatier?

Baking By joy5678 Updated 22 Sep 2009 , 5:08pm by chilz822

joy5678 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 11:09pm
post #1 of 13

Help! Chocolate doctors needed! icon_surprised.gif Made a choc cake & it just doesn't have much of a choc taste. Hate to trash it, so any idea how I can add flavor? Is there a choc simple syrup or something I can pour or brush onto it? Any prescriptions are welcomed thumbs_up.gif

12 replies
blessedist Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 13

There is something I see online called Magic Chocolate(or other way). I have been told by many that it tastes good and gives it that pretty dark color and super flavor. I don't have time to look for it right now, but maybe search the net for it. It comes in a jar with a screw top.

joy5678 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 12:33am
post #3 of 13

Hummm, that sounds like it might work. Thanks for the tip. I wonder if I could use some kind of choc sauce that is in the store. I've seen some that may be kind of like the one you are suggesting. I'll have to look.

grandmom Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:08am
post #4 of 13

Next time, substitute some strong coffee for the liquid. Or make espresso with instant espresso powder. Smells wicked bad, but it really boosts the chocolatiness. Not my idea - stole it from others at CC! I will never make another chocolate cake without it!

emiyeric Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 12:02pm
post #5 of 13

You could top the cake with a chocolate ganache in the meantime ... won't give the cake itself a ton of flavor, but the overall product will be far richer and chocolatey-er (is that a word? icon_smile.gif ). Ditto on using the espresso in all your recipes!!

Deb_ Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 13

Depending on the recipe I've found that the chocolate flavor becomes more intense after a couple of days.

I've made some recipes that I've thought tasted pretty bland on the first day but given time for the ingredients and flavors to develop, the chocolate flavor becomes much more evident.

Let us know if this is the case with this particular cake.

I agree about subbing out the liquid with coffee, I do this with almost all of my chocolate cake can't taste *coffee*, just a rich chocolate flavor......oh and be sure to use high quality chocolate or cocoa.

prterrell Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 4:32am
post #7 of 13

If the recipe uses cocoa powder, it really helps to "bloom" the powder. Pour hot (just off boiling) water or coffee over the cocoa powder, let sit for 5 min, then mix until smooth. Let sit until cooled to room temp and then use in the recipe.

joy5678 Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 13

Wow! Great tips and ones that I will definitely use. Thanks you all!

pattycakesnj Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 8:27pm
post #9 of 13

add strong coffee in place of some of your liquid, really works great

Kitagrl Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 8:31pm
post #10 of 13

Depends on the recipe, and also fresh chocolate cake isn't nearly as good as cake that's been frozen or refrigerated (wrapped) overnight....

Bluehue Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 8:46pm
post #11 of 13

Use the best Dutch Cocoa you can find - that way you will get the true Chocolate taste - without having to add coffee.
Plus the better the cocoa - the richer colour your cake will be... and lighter in texture as good cocoa is so fine - it distributes better throughout the batter. thumbs_up.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 21 Sep 2009 , 8:48pm
post #12 of 13

I agree with dkelly - any cake tastes better the next day, but especially chocolate.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

chilz822 Posted 22 Sep 2009 , 5:08pm
post #13 of 13

Along with the coffee, I also use Belgian Chocolate Truffle coffee creamer and chocolate chips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%