Not Happy

Decorating By d3sc3n7 Updated 24 Sep 2009 , 12:19pm by d3sc3n7

d3sc3n7 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 18

So, I just delivered my first baby shower cake. I'm not at ALL pleased with fact, I felt bad dropping it off. Everything that could go wrong it it, did. I have another one due tomorrow...I hope it goes better!

17 replies
jammjenks Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 18

What were you unhappy about? What did the customer say?

d3sc3n7 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 18
Originally Posted by jammjenks

What were you unhappy about? What did the customer say?

I cracked the fondant, the humidity started making the chocolate decorations on the side fall off and made some of the fondant edges droop and look lumpy.

I looked alot better before I left the house, than it did when I got it there.

Customer liked it...I apologized for the cracks, and she said they are going to eat it anyway.

cookiedecorator Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 18

We are our own worst critics. Things we think look horrible, other people find amazing. Thank goodness for nice people. Your cake is very cute.

Rylan Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 18

I agree, the cake looks really cute. I love how you used different mediums on making this cake.

d3sc3n7 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 18

Her boss (and mine) just called, and "suggested" I give her half the price of the cake back.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 9:43pm
post #7 of 18

Well, the boss is not your client. Talk to her and find out how she really felt about the cake. In the future be sure you cool your car off really well before placing a cake in it and be sure it is not in the sunlight. I think you know it was not your best work and you need to let your heart guide you.

d3sc3n7 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 9:54pm
post #8 of 18

I know its not my best work...and I told her this. I was up all night trying to fix it, this one just wasn't working out. I apologized for the fondant being cracked...and her response was "Well, were going to eat it anyway". So I don't know if this was her issue, or his. I'm going to speak to her Monday and see what she thought of it. I know how the boss can be.

Deb_ Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 10:02pm
post #9 of 18

Is she married to "your boss"? Why is your boss involved in this?

d3sc3n7 Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 10:09pm
post #10 of 18
Originally Posted by dkelly

Is she married to "your boss"? Why is your boss involved in this?

The "boss" believes he needs to be involved in everything

luvmysmoother Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 11:00pm
post #11 of 18

If you are also unhappy with the result giving 50% back might be a nice thing to do or maybe bake her a small apology cake when you are having a good fondant dayicon_smile.gif

OfficerMorgan Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 2:19am
post #12 of 18

I'm sorry you had problems. icon_sad.gif But for the crack, I would offer 50% off as well.

my_4_dumplins Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 5:51am
post #13 of 18

Was your boss at the babyshower? If he wasn't she must have said something to him about the cake for him to send you and email. If she said something to him about it, well, that just is very tacky IMO. She could have said something to you when you deliverd the cake instead of making it someone elses problem.

d3sc3n7 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 9:02am
post #14 of 18

I believe he was there...I left before people started coming. And I agree, if she had the problem with the cake...why not say something to me when I set it on the table?

I'm going to speak with her on Monday...and see if it was her decision, or his.

colleenant Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 12:24pm
post #15 of 18

If it's her shower she probably wanted everything to go smoothly and did not want to deal with any problems the day of. (I did this on my wedding day because getting upset would ruin the day and not change anything). Afterwards when she takes everything in, is when she'll see what could have been done better. If you KNOW the cake was not what it should have been then refund her 50%; even if it's for your own piece of mind; knowing you did the right thing. If she did like it then she'll know you have high standards; if she didn't like it then she'll be glad she received a partial refund.

Deb_ Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 12:46pm
post #16 of 18

This technological age of text messaging, blogging, and e-mail that we live in makes it easier for people to "write" their comments/complaints rather then being in the uncomfortable position of confronting someone face to face verbally.

I'm sure this lady didn't want to say she was disappointed in the cake right to your face and figured an e-mail was the easiest way to tell you without being confrontational.

I would refund what you think is appropriate since you yourself weren't happy with the cake.

Your boss should keep his nose out of other people's business.....he's putting you in an awkward position by getting involved at all.

my_4_dumplins Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 8:41am
post #17 of 18 did it go when you talked to her on monday?

d3sc3n7 Posted 24 Sep 2009 , 12:19pm
post #18 of 18

She wasnt nearly as angry as he was...but I'm giving her half back anyway...which loses me money on the cake. But I didnt like the way it turned out anyway. Then I cracked the fondant getting it ready for transport.[/code]

Quote by @%username% on %date%