Neat Trick!

Decorating By lilscakes Updated 20 Sep 2009 , 11:42pm by aundrea

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 20

Not sure about anyone else out in cake land, but I always "sweat" about whether or not my cakes are well cooked to the center. I've never had one that wasn't and I always bake with the nail in the center etc... Today, I had to decorate a very moist carrot cake that I wanted to make sure of, so I took my apple corer out and pulled a "plug" from the center of the cake. Satisfied myself it was ok, replaced the plug, iced the cake and no one will ever know....Thought I'd share that little tip in case others have teh same fears icon_biggrin.gif

19 replies
dnrlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dnrlee Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 20

That's a great idea!

CakeDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiane Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 20

What a cool idea! I always worry about the middle being too "rare" as well--i'm gonna try it! thanks!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 9:34pm
post #4 of 20

That is a really good idea. Thanks for sharing!

lillermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillermom Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 20

Great idea! Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 20

That is such a good idea. Who woulda known to use that for that. Thanks for sharing. icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 19 Sep 2009 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 20

Thanks for the tip! What a good one!

mjk350 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjk350 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 12:15am
post #8 of 20

I have to try this, thanks for sharing. thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 12:15pm
post #9 of 20

The best way to check if a cake is done is to insert a thermometer in the centre & if it reads 195 degrees F,it is fully cooked. Learned this from a culinary instructor.

Caike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caike Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 12:23pm
post #10 of 20

That's actually a fantastic idea - I tend to worry about the same thing. I've screwed up in the past too wanting to be really sure and the overcooking which is the worst. I'm going to use this idea - thanks so much!

Caike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caike Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 12:24pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limpy

The best way to check if a cake is done is to insert a thermometer in the centre & if it reads 195 degrees F,it is fully cooked. Learned this from a culinary instructor.

Perhaps a stupid question - but would a candy thermometer work? Is that what you mean?

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 7:47pm
post #12 of 20

Candy or meat thermometer. Doesn't matter, as long as the temp reached in centre of cake is 195 degrees farenheit. Push the thermometer in at an angle when reading the temp.

meenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meenu Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 7:57pm
post #13 of 20

Thanks for sharing.

kaseyrconnect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaseyrconnect Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 8:36pm
post #14 of 20

That is such a great idea-I have used a paring knife and cut a little tiny circle about an inch or so deep to check because I couldn't think of a better way to check. Who would have thought an apple corer ? Well, I guess you did. Thanks for the tip. Now, I have to buy myself an apple corer.

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 8:52pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:

Love it thanks!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 9:42pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:

Another awesome tip. Thanks Limpy. I was wondering if different cakes are considered cooked at different temps though (ie chocolate vs white vs pound etc). I'm assuming 195 is a good rule of thumb to go by either way.

http://www.wikihow.com/Test-a-Cake-to-See-if-it-is-Done

cakefanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefanatic Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:04pm
post #17 of 20

Thank you, I had to print it out for my records.

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:18pm
post #18 of 20

Thanks Lilscakes! Great idea! thumbs_up.gif

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 10:35pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:

I've thought about doing this, but wasn't sure about the proper temp. Thanks for sharing the great advice!

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 20 Sep 2009 , 11:42pm
post #20 of 20

Very cool idea. Both of them. I find myself always re-checking the center of my cakes. The only cake I really have this problem with is WASC hopefeully this will help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%